Been wanting to get a fire brick for the project P2 and just been putting it off. Finally got a great idea. Decided to buy a new one for the P2 in the living room and use the old patched up one for the project stove. No real need to store a stove with a brand spanky new firebrick. Anyway. Picked up the new one at the post office a bit ago and got it all in and a fire built. Looks sweet. The brown smudginess near the top of the glass is on the glass, not the new brick. I just dry wiped the window as it had been cleaned a few days ago Now both Whits have new firebricks. Likely will outlive me. Thanks Don 2222
Thanks 4 screws that hold the two side plates in the fire box in is all. Takes longer to clean out all the crud from behind the old one than it does to swap them. I was worried about the old one, as I had repaired it back in 2009 when we got the stove. I used fire cement to patch the old one. It came out fine and is plenty good to go back into the project stove. Will be way good enough for that use.
Those suckers aren't cheap - at least what they wanted for replacements when I had the Hastings weren't. Good thinking swapping from the stove you want to keep to the rehab project
It was a great plan, key word WAS Getting the old one out was easy, as was installing the new one. Now the worm turned. The old one had been patched up a BUNCH when we bought the stove used back in 2009 The fire back was the original light weight cera board, and was badly eaten out around the drop tube, so I patched it with fire cement. The board would have been fine for a long time had it been left alone. Getting it in the project stove proved to be a tad more than the patch could stand and it crumbled and went south I was able to use it to locate and drill the new clips that retain the board, but a new one is gonna have to be purchased to make the thing right. Oh well, the P2 in the house is all spiffy now and that should last me until the cows come home. Once the project is all done and working well, I have a neat place to put the little guy. I have a large cabinet under my 50 inch screen I use for my computer, and I promised it to my daughter when they get their new house. Sooooo. I will slip the stove right into that spot and sit my printer on top of it. Can't fire it up, but the place will keep things all nice and no rodents will move aboard and set up housekeeping. Once that is done, should it be needed its good to go. Just need to find a good spot to store the spare ADV 2 T ONCE ITS DONE.
Good deal Robyn, your P2 looks great! When I got my Spare P61, I put it in the garage/workshop about 10 feet away from my P61 basement stove that heats the whole house. So if the basement stove goes down, I can just fire up the spare garage/workshop stove and open the door and still heat the whole house. Now my new workshop is on the other side of the garage/workshop so that stove will also be a backup for my new workshop stove, the Harman Advance. So it is a double duty spare!
Thanks Don In reality, the chance of ever needing either of these "backups" is slim, but the chance of a lot of catastrophic things are slim. But being prepared is a good thing. The one horror that comes to mind is having a need for a new/replacement stove and not having anything available immediately and or that can be installed NOW without cutting fresh holes in the wall. My P2 sits in an area where the vent location was dicey at best. Safe enough, but tricky to make work. Easy to service though. I can stand in the stair well and pop the 45 off and then hit it with the leafer and the brush, pop the 45 back on and back to work. Here is a piccy of the P2 vent. It exits over the stair well, but is located such that it is not an issue as far as fire hazard or being a nuisance as far as bumping into it. Buttttttt, it was a pain to decide to put it there. There were very few other spots that worked both outside and inside the house.