In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

"Scrap" bin

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Shawn Curry, Feb 26, 2016.

  1. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Another project in the theme of shop cleanup and organization. My scrap bins - which are currently cardboard boxes - were getting pretty full. I had a lot of these soft maple scraps left over from some recent projects, so I decided they ought to be another scrap bin.

    image.jpg

    No plans this time - I just made them as long as I could, which was 32". It ended up a little bigger than I had imagined, but that's probably a good thing.

    I made the base frame first, and cut some notches for the uprights on my bandsaw post-assembly. For the uprights, I simply laid them on top of the base, aligned with the notches, which I knew to be square.

    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

    I laid the base on the ground and attached the uprights with some screws. They were a pretty nice fit. Then I turned it on its side and attached the top slat to square everything up at just over 31 1/2 inside dimensions.

    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

    I think I'm going to make another one, a little smaller next time; for the really small bound-for-kindling type stuff.
     
  2. B_Williams

    B_Williams

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2014
    Messages:
    226
    Likes Received:
    594
    Location:
    Maryland
    Build a removable top for it and you've got a rolling table too. Good stuff!
     
    milleo, chbryson, schlot and 6 others like this.
  3. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    That's a good one, much better than a plywood bin because you can see what the heck is in there.
    I made one very similar but the side pieces are spaced out a lot more, better to see what is in there.
    Didn't put any wheels on it, I did put a plywood bottom in it but, the rest is all made from pallet wood.
     
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    Woodwidow and Shawn Curry like this.
  4. B_Williams

    B_Williams

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2014
    Messages:
    226
    Likes Received:
    594
    Location:
    Maryland
    Had to come back and look at it again. I need to build one of these. My work shop area in the basement desperately needs organization. Right now I have a few cat litter buckets fit holding scraps. This is way better.
     
    Woodwidow and Shawn Curry like this.
  5. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Another excellent project. Pieces like that will come in handy. :yes:

    I'm deep in the middle of shop organization too. I have a bunch of ideas that I am working on. A lot of irons in the fire.
     
    Woodwidow, Shawn Curry and B_Williams like this.
  6. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,524
    Likes Received:
    95,590
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    literally?
     
    campinspecter, milleo and Shawn Curry like this.
  7. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Ha, no, figuratively.

    Multiple small projects at once.
     
    Woodwidow, milleo and Shawn Curry like this.
  8. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Sorting through some more scraps today and came up with enough soft maple for another one. 20" square this time.

    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

    I recalled a couple useful tricks this time. I used my t-square and miter gauge on my table saw to quickly square up the base components for assembly. Also, after attaching the uprights, I used a clamp to hold them at the correct width while attaching the top slats.

    image.jpg image.jpg

    I'm going to make the next one out of walnut. :)

    image.jpg