Ooooh, nice load Dave. I took down a couple Spruce that were like that. I think some black ants got to 'em.
After handling 3 year dried wood for the last 3 months, this green stuff is heavy. 2 trailer loads, when dry, 1 trailer load wet. Dry load.... ............. ........... .... ..... .Green load
" Alaska Birch Alaska birch (B. neoalaskana) occurs throughout much of the state, particularly in interior regions below 4,000 feet of altitude. It is the most common species of birch in Anchorage, where it thrives along waterways, wetlands and slopes within the Chugach mountain range. Growing to 65 feet in height, Alaska birch is a relatively small tree species with a slender, 12-inch diameter trunk topped by a narrow crown of foliage. The bark has a wide range of colors, from white to reddish-pink with nearly black twigs. Highly ornamental, Alaska birch is cultivated throughout North America for its attractive appearance and ability to withstand freezing temperatures." Some call it paper birch but has higher BTU and other differences . BTU similar to yellow birch. UAF (University of Alaska Fairbanks) BTU tested it for 23.6 million BTU/cord. I think it's a resinous wood due to the oily waterproof bark. Not sure though. 8600 to 9700 Btu per pound for resinous woods. 8000 to 8500 Btu per pound for non resinous woods. Depending on the BTU chart, close to red oak & ash & a little more than cherry. Not sure I understand the wide range on different BTU charts, for the same wood type. Climate & location probably a factor. AK forestry link
UAF: "Resins, when present, are usually highly flammable and can result in more heat from wood that is less dense than others without high resin content." Something I need to , When calculating the BTU of birch, is it considered resinous. & what about the bark. UAF basically says green aspen is wet wood 100% moisture "Moisture content is usually expressed as green or air dry. Paper birch has a green moisture content of about 80 percent; aspen about 100 percent. This means that the moisture in green aspen weighs just as much as the wood itself when totally dry. Air dry means the moisture content is from 12 to 20 percent."
Yours might do better this year after the cold weather. Aphids love them , cold winters help kill many bugs that attack the leaves in late summer.
I know that Birch is what you mainly burn Bogy and by reading your many posts I know this species well but have never burn a single stick, at least that I was aware of.