In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Quadrafire Contour pellet stove buz at 20? CSS?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by don2222, Jan 9, 2014.

  1. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Hello

    This old wood pellet stove! I did the auger service and cleaned and buffed the auger abouut a week ago which helped alot.

    The stove runs fine except when it is below freezing in the morning in the shed/workshop it will not start!
    The thermocouple and ignitor work fine. If I do a jump start a fire the bugger up manually, the auger starts turning fine.

    Listen to this video when turning the stove on at 20 Deg F. It has the original feed motor and gray control box vintage year 2k. Maybe CSS = cold start syndrome?



    What may fix this?
     
  2. SmokeyTheBear

    SmokeyTheBear

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    8,324
    Likes Received:
    39,419
    Location:
    Standish, ME
    Is there a start capacitor that motor?
     
  3. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    14 yr old auger motor? I'd say it's about lived it's life. It doesn't owe that stove anything.

    Personally, because of the age, I would look into a new replacement.
     
    eatonpcat likes this.
  4. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    I think so, I will check.
     
  5. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Yes, Probably a good idea.
     
  6. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Hey Guys

    The shed was at 20 Degrees, So I started a fire in the Quad Manually and kept had feeding until the convection blower started and the shed warmed up to 34 Degs. At this temp the auger started to run and the stove is running fine now.

    Any Comments? Should I get a new Control Box first?
     
  7. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    I would hook the auger up to an old lamp cord and see if it makes the noise? If so, then why spend money on a Control board when it's not bad?
     
  8. SmokeyTheBear

    SmokeyTheBear

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    8,324
    Likes Received:
    39,419
    Location:
    Standish, ME
    I was going to suggest a trip behind the barn and the use of of a good hickory switch to beat the tar out of it so it knew who the boss was but that would be cruel to the hickory switch.

    It sounds like a start cap ain't a starting and one of them is cheaper than a controller.
     
  9. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Yes, It was 34 Deg F this morning so when I hit the switch it started right up no problems! :) Must be cold start syndrome?
     
  10. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Hello

    Here is some new information!
    I was talkinng to some Harman & Quad techs today. They said that both Harman and Quads may have some difficulty during startup operations in environments below freezing. Harman stoves may have problems with the Temperature sensing using the room probe and quads just exhibit start problems.

    Therefore there may be NO FIX for the above problem except to use an alternate heat source for initial warming in below freezing environments! ! !
     
  11. SmokeyTheBear

    SmokeyTheBear

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    8,324
    Likes Received:
    39,419
    Location:
    Standish, ME
    Check the specs for that stupid motor.

    Talk to its maker (the motor maker that is) , then see if some other manufacurer makes a unit that can operate at lower temps and then change it.
     
  12. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Thanks Smokey. I always like your comments they keep me thinking!

    The HHT Quadrafire OEM part comes with the auger mounting bracket and Molex plug. But no big deal!

    Here are the Quad Motor Specs
    Box
    Part # 812-4421
    Desc: FEED MTR CONT/CAST/121/12
    Order Nbr: 197155
    Production Date
    Order Type
    Disposition UM

    Motor Tag
    49TYZ -120 B1 Synchronous Motor NO. 0917
    Part No. 7000-500
    AC120V 60Hz
    50 (60) ma 6W 2.4 RPM
    Z P CLASS: B cRUus E228950

    Here is a very similar motor
    http://www.tradekd.com/product/1769069/synchronous_motor_49TYZ_.html
    Operating Temp
    -10.0 Deg C to 60 Deg C or
    14.0 Deg F to 140 Deg F

    So even if the shed is 20 Deg F, the Quadrafire Contour Feed motor should turn?
    Maybe a defective or very old motor?

    Have you seen any of these? How can we find out the operating temperature specs are for sure?

    See pics below
    Click too Enlarge:
     

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  13. SmokeyTheBear

    SmokeyTheBear

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    8,324
    Likes Received:
    39,419
    Location:
    Standish, ME
    Or the capacitor is on its way out, they are noted for issues anyway and are known to be temperature sensitive.
     
  14. 343amc

    343amc

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,749
    Likes Received:
    5,770
    Location:
    Northeast Lower Michigan
    Could be a motor issue, but in all reality how many pellet stoves sold ever have to start up in below freezing conditions?
     
  15. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    I would think that since more and more people are installing pellet stoves and some going into winter cottages it is getting to be more of an issue these days.

    This Quad Contour works really good! I luv the nice warming compartment! However not starting in the cold is the only problem! It was worse before I took out the auger and buffed it out and lubed the motor. Therefore I really suspect the feed motor and I purchased a new one. the temps have not dipped down that low again so far but when it does I will go into action!


    Then we will know for sure! Thanks for your comments!
     
  16. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    True Smokey but my supplier was out of stock on them. :-(
     
  17. RockyMtnHigh

    RockyMtnHigh

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2014
    Messages:
    641
    Likes Received:
    1,130
    Location:
    Bailey, Colorado
    I think it's just too cold for a stove that's meant to be in an insulated home. If it works fine at 34f and not 20f... that's a sign to me. You can toss a new feed motor at it and you may or may not have the same issues, if you have the same issues you'll have a spare motor either way. Maybe put a work lamp of some sort in the back of it near the motor to warm things up a bit and set it on a timer for 30 minutes or so before you go to the shop/shed?
     
    DexterDay likes this.
  18. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Well, It just stopped working between 34 - 50 deg F now, so it seams the feed motor is on the way out. I do not see a capacitor anywhere. I have the updated control box too, I can throw in. I am hoping to at least put in the new feed motor tomorrow so we can see how that works before it gets real cold around here again.
     
  19. RockyMtnHigh

    RockyMtnHigh

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2014
    Messages:
    641
    Likes Received:
    1,130
    Location:
    Bailey, Colorado
    At those temps the stove should be feeding fine. I'd make sure (as I'm sure you have) that all the exhaust passages are clear etc. and the vacuum switch is good.

    I do my service issues in this particular order: pressure-power-path-part. Usually the part is the last culprit, especially on a well maintained stove.... make sure pressure is good, check power at every connection, make sure the path between the power and the part is good, then go after the part...

    It's a good rhythm. Parts don't go bad as often as people replace them sadly.
     
    343amc and DexterDay like this.
  20. SmokeyTheBear

    SmokeyTheBear

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    8,324
    Likes Received:
    39,419
    Location:
    Standish, ME
    Don go to page 20 in the Manual (250-5583) and tell me what is in the center of the wiring diagram there.