I know there must be some here who have septic systems, so I thought I'd ask about this. The drains have been gurgling for a while now, and every once in a while we'll get a very slight backup of drain water in the tub. The gurgling wasn't happening all the time, but seemed like whenever we did a wash load, then took a shower is when it was more noticable. Water is still draining, but too much at once is a problem (like a flush). It's never nasty, just water and soap. I've checked the vent from the roof by running my brush rods down, and there were no blockages. Maybe we have a partial clog in the main? The tank was pumped last May, if memory serves. Looking for ideas.
I should also mention that toilet flushing is fine. It's actually flushing very well, but causing the gurgling every flush. Maybe with the warm weather, it's time to revisit the roof vent.
Sounds like a partial clog in the main to me. Happen here a few years back had some of the nasty chit backing up from the washing machine drain when too much water was trying to drain at once ie shower and dish washer draining at same time. I had the tank pumped a few days later the problem was back Ended up having to have the main line hydro jetted all good now
Partial drain clog or clogged air vent on the roof. .... ? Pulled the "P" traps & cleaned them lately?
Yeah, no nasties coming up. Like I said, the toilet flushes great, but the other drains gurgle after a flush. Happens when the washer is emptying too. If the weather continues, the snow should be gone from the roof in a day or 2, and I'll get up there and mess with the vent. I need to get in the crawl anyway, but planned to wait until spring. I'll have to pretend it is.
Did the kitchen recently Dave ( over 1/2 plugged), and checked the bathtub today. Laundry tub is next, and that needs to be replumbed anyway, since it's done incorrectly. It's actually the washer drain that needs to be redone, because the washer drain is plumbed over to the utility tub drain. Wrongo. This whole dang house is a mess.
Sometimes in real cold weather the vent pipe steams out moist air & it can slowly freeze closed. Hardening of the arteries . 3" vent pipe here. Pulls air thru the "P" trap. a gurgling sound It can cause the "P" traps to empty,
Bathrooms here , hair on the gizmo that opens & closes the drain, then slowly gets more & more until it's barely open. Hair & goo. lovely stuff. An annual event that I hate.
I'll go along with Dave about the clogged or partially obstructed vent stack. Happened to me a few years back. Eventually it fixed itself when it warmed up long enough for the frost/ice to clear itself out. Edit - then I pay attention and see you already checked the vent stack. Whoops...
Well, it's been a while since I last checked the vent. If it's nice enough tomorrow, I may go up for a look-see. Dave, I checked the bath drain by pulling the little strainer thing in the tub. Seemed free and clear. I'll have to go into the crawl to access the trap.
Sounds like a really common issue. Who knew. I know we had it happen when we lived downstate. A squirrel had found it's way into the vent and died. Guess he couldn't find reverse. We had "the guy" come out and get the thing out, then he put a screen over the top.
This would allow fumes to escape into the house though, right? That's not happening, so.........? Bath vanity drain has water rising a few inches below the bowl, then recedes during a flush. Water in trap. I can understand the vent freezing over, but it's been warmer here for at least a couple days, and still having the gurgle. Wouldn't using the drains cause water to refill the traps? Trying to learn here.
If your hearing gurgling in drains all over the house it's a good chance your main is partially clogged. Mine backed up a few weeks ago. I started noticing some drains were draining slowly a few weeks before that and then the washing machine drain overflowed a week before the clog. Good luck!
Dont know how much it helps, but I started filling sinks with hot water and flushing the drains maybe once a month, haven't had a slow drain issue since. I flush the shower drain after every time I use it. Sometime fill some hot water and flush but mostly just run the water for a minute or so. Seems to keep the goo issue at bay. Being on well water, I dont have to worry so much about high water/sewer bills that some do,
Apropos of nothing, a long time ago I had an issue of backing up water on a Sunday night. The Roto Rooter man came over and worked his magic for a reasonable price. There were roots growing into the sewage lateral out to the main in the street. We were very grateful. Hey look, it's Sunday today!
When my system gurgles I have a plugged main line, used to happen a lot but I could unplug it myself. The only time I had a frozen vent pipe it caused bubbles to come up in the toilet.