In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Stove-top Utensils

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Grizzly Adam, Jan 10, 2014.

  1. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Cast iron is obviously the vessel of choice for cooking on the woodstove, but what do you guys like for utensils? We normally use our plastic spatulas and silicone tongs. We don't really like wood and have avoid metal for the past several years to save wear and tear on Teflon pans and griddles.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
  2. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I've used the plastic and sillycone spatulas.
    I don't like wooden utensils.
     
    NortheastAl likes this.
  3. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    For a spatula my go to is metal, the plastic ones are ok but nothing like the strength and flexibility of the metal. We really only use cast iron to cook, i have a teflon pan but rarely ever use it. Honestly I dont even know where it is.
     
    NortheastAl and Certified106 like this.
  4. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    We use Teflon for eggs or other quick dishes in the summer, rest of the year it's cast iron on the stove. Also have some nice stainless steel that is used all seasons.
     
  5. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    mom has a stainless pan that is a great pan
     
  6. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Yeah, I really like cooking in them, but they are no match for a seasons piece of cast iron. In the summer I just don't want to heat up those heavy pans if it's only going to be a short cooking time.
     
    NortheastAl likes this.
  7. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Same here, All of our cooking pots and pans are cast iron and I only use metal spatulas. We have two porcelain coated cast iron pots and one porcelain coated cast iron frying pan for things that have a tendency to stick but everything else is straight up Lodge cast iron.
     
  8. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    I only have regular cast iron but oil them regularly and if I notice sticking at all I season them again.
     
    NortheastAl likes this.
  9. tuneighty

    tuneighty

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2013
    Messages:
    542
    Likes Received:
    1,670
    Location:
    South Central PA
    Cast Iron or the stainless steel, one of my favorites is the swiss diamond though. I also utilize the cast iron trivet to control temps a bit better. No metal utensils. Mostly silicone, or wood.
     
  10. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    We don't really have any problems with anything sticking but scrambled eggs and pancakes seem much easier to do on the porcelain coated cast iron to me.
     
  11. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Have only ever had pancakes stick to stainless.
     
  12. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    there is a learning curve with stainless steel cookware.
    But, that's all I use as a friend of mine sells Towncraft.
    If your eggs are sticking, turn the heat down!
     
    tuneighty likes this.
  13. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Eggs aren't sticking, like I said I just don't want to heat the house up extra if I'm just cooking something quick.