In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Bailey's Data Breach

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Smoketr1973, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Smoketr1973

Smoketr1973

Just received a message from Bailey's Online that they were the victim of a data breach. This explains what happened to my credit card over the holidays!!!
    They sure are quick to send me info on all the sale items, but a bit slow to notify me that they were ground zero for the fraudulent charges that appeared on my card. They didn't even tell me why my order was suspended, just everything was back ordered and they would proceed when the items came to their warehouse. Just a few days ago they send an email telling me everything was in but I needed to update my credit card information!! Today they tell me there was a breach!! WTF!!
    I'm done with Bailey's.:mad:

2. rottiman

rottiman

Yup.............everybody just LOVES this on-line buying.....................

Horkn and Well Seasoned like this.
  3. yooperdave

yooperdave

Baileys?

Horkn and Well Seasoned like this.
  4. Star Gazer

Star Gazer

Horkn likes this.
  5. williaty

williaty

We got burnt by this one too but I wouldn't stop doing business with one company over a simple breach. From an IT security perspective, basically no company is safe. If a determined and skilled attacker decides you're going down, you're going down. In other words, there's no safe way to have a credit card, debit card, or even a bank account when it's all linked together by computers. You're no safer shopping somewhere else. What you need to watch out for, and then punish by taking your business elsewhere, is willful recklessness like that Target breach a couple of years ago where they basically tried extra hard to make sure they were going to get breached and then turned off the alarms that told them they had been breached. If a company appears to be taking reasonable steps for security and then gets breached anyway, that's just the cost of doing business in the modern age. Get used to it, it's going to happen a LOT more often.

Otherwise, go back to cash only and close your bank account.

6. Horkn

Horkn

I agree williaty.

I still think that it's bad on baileys to wait this long to notify those affected.

unclefess and bobdog2o02 like this.
  7. williaty

williaty

Who knows in this case, but in a lot of cases, the vendors are getting pulled all over the case by their customers, their insurance, the CC companies, whoever does their IT security, and the FBI. A lot of times what gets said when is a decision the lawyers make that the vendor has no control over. Sometimes they're just trying to be dicks and hide it like the big bank breaches.

Backwoods Savage and Horkn like this.
  8. rottiman

rottiman

......and what would the downside to that be?......It sure worked for ALOT of years before the advent of computers. Ahhhh.....I answered my own question, the BIG banks and BIG business and the GOVERMENT wouldn't be able to continue their strangle-hold on the average citizen. Not to mention snuffing out the LOCAL small businesses, i.e. like Walmart has recently shown to be doing................

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    Eric VW and papadave like this.
  9. Star Gazer

Star Gazer

Home Depot had been hit in the last year or so, but research indicates it wasn't through online purchases, but rather through their Self Checkout things in their store.I also researched Amazon since I do a lot of shopping there and basically they deal in tokens. The CC/DC information is NOT on their site.

Over the course of about 3 years I've had my CC (actually debit card) compromised twice. The last time about 4 months ago. Each time I caught it. And each time I get a letter about a month later from the company saying they think my card has been compromised and to please check my records! o_O

While I have made purchases from Baileys, I haven't made any purchases from them since my last card had been compromised. Your best bet is to be vigilant in checking your cards for any erroneous activity regardless of the size of the charge. Sometimes whoever ends up with the number will make a small test purchase before making any larger purchases to see if the card is still active.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    rottiman and bobdog2o02 like this.
  10. yooperdave

yooperdave

Credit cards are the devil!

Elvisss222, papadave and rottiman like this.
  11. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

They said that about red underwear too, but when used right they both can be usefull.

12. Star Gazer

Star Gazer

This is interesting. I finally received my notice today from Bailey's. But the troubling part is they indicate the breech had occurred or been occurring since December 2011.

An excerpt from my email from them:

"In January 2016, we sent our customers a notification that their credit card information and other personal information may have been stolen due to a cyber attack on our website, BaileysOnline.com. In that notice, we informed our customers that the compromise event began on September 25, 2015.

Following an extensive eight week forensic examination, we have recently learned that the cyber attacks actually first occurred in December 2011. The forensic examination shows that beginning in December 2011, a person or persons without authorization accessed and possibly stole credit card information from our website belonging to our customers. The thief or thieves accessed our website remotely and overcame our firewall and security protections. Of these exposed cards, nearly 25% were MasterCard® cards, 64% were VISA® cards, and fewer than 5% and 6% were American Express® and Discover® cards, respectively.

If you are receiving this letter, then we have identified you as one of the people who placed an order or opened an account within the affected date range, December 1, 2011 to January 26, 2016, and you may have had certain protected information misappropriated.

We cannot be certain whether your data was stolen. However, because there is a possibility that your data was stolen, we are required by law to notify you that you made a purchase and/or opened an account with Bailey’s during the affected range."

If all they got was my email address, home address, and CC#, it's not that big of a deal. Spam is automatically blocked, and my CC# has changed 3 times since my last purchase with them. Two times because it was compromised, and the third time was because the bank decided to issue new cards to everyone. The new cards are those Chip and Pin things.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Yes, I received the notice too. I've purchased there several times but never any problem with the card.