In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Got a new tool - review "Wyeth-Scott More Power Puller"

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Kevin in Ohio, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

First off I'm not affiliated with this company or getting anything from them for doing this. I just thought others would benefit and maybe save someone from getting hurt or damaging something by knowing about them.

About a month ago I helped an old fiend take down some trees around his house and decided to cable a lot of them down to be safe. House and power lines came into play. we had out old bulky puller and normal come alongs and he brought one of these out. After using it I was really impressed and figured they didn't make them anymore. Someone on a forum said they were still being made and I found them. Made right here in Ohio up in the Northern part of the state. It is a the Wyeth-Scott Co. and it's called the more power puller. There is a Chinese knock off around so watch what you are looking at. I ended up ordering direct from the company and here is a link. I got the 3 ton version

The Wyeth-Scott Co. Established 1906

They are pricey but I have never minded to pay for what I consider a lifetime tool. The damge from using something under rated looks small afterward.

I ended up getting 2 of them as you never know when a company like this will go out of business when enough people think the "harbor freight" version is good enough. That is how much I was impressed with it. I got one handle extension(I'd recommend) and a extra slip pulley. I thought they weren't included and I wanted one. Now I have 3 as they came with the puller, my mistake. Here are some pics.

[​IMG]

I put the saw next to it to give you some scale. It's a lot beefier than the normal puller.

[​IMG]

3 ton version has 20 ft of cable and you can also get poly cable if you want. The housing is drilled where the shaft comes through so you can grease it with a grease gun with a needle greaser. Nice touch for easy maintenance.

[​IMG]

safety hooks are optional but I got them as they are handy sometimes and save some step to prevent hooks and chains from coming off when slacked.

[​IMG] The slip hook pulley is a one piece cast item. VERY strong piece as well. I ordered the extra without safety clasp. Guess I have both know!

[​IMG]

Here is the old one in action. we used this on a lot of trees and that cable was pulled like a guitar string. Amazing how big of a hinge a tree would have and it would pull it right over.

[​IMG]

This pic gives you an idea as it has pulled this tree to this point and it still is not over centered to fall. I did cut a wedge hinge her to let it roll off to onside as he had a narrow slot with a tree on one side he didn't want damaged.

[​IMG]

Every tree went right where he wanted so mission accomplished.

When I ordered them They shipped them out and I had it 3 days later. They are just a super nice tool to have and with a few chains and some cable you can safely take down some trees that are not worth the risk of "hoping" it will go as planned.

If the moderators want to remove or move this that is fine but I thought others might benefit knowing about these.

Bert, OhioStihl, Shawn Curry and 16 others like this.
  2. schlot

schlot

Looks like a heavy duty unit indeed!

3. swags

swags Moderator

That looks like a useful tool, thanks for sharing

4. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Wouldn't expect anything less than a great review from a fella like you Kevin in Ohio:thumbs:

Bert, OhioStihl, Shawn Curry and 5 others like this.
  5. MN woodcutter

MN woodcutter

Great job on the review and thanks for taking the time to post it.

6. Horkn

Horkn

I've got a couple of those up at the cabin.

I've never used them for tree felling, but I probably should.

Nice tools to have.

7. Minnesota Marty

Minnesota Marty

They are pricey but I have never minded to pay for what I consider a lifetime tool.

Kevin,
    You just gave me another reason to buy a tool that is decent. I never thought of it in those terms but that is 100% correct. A tool is not expensive if it last your lifetime and it works when it needs to.

by the way, the Power Wagon looks better everytime I see it !!

Bert, Shawn Curry, 1964 262 6 and 2 others like this.
  8. Smokinpiney

Smokinpiney

Definitely a good tool to have. We used them all the time when I worked for the tree service.

9. Rudedog

Rudedog

Thanks Kevin. I'm going to pick up one of the 3 ton models after I get my taxes done in February.

10. 1964 262 6

1964 262 6

nice that it is made here also

Bert, Shawn Curry, Eric VW and 2 others like this.
  11. prell 73

prell 73

12. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

They are nice but wow you were not kidding about them being pricey. I can get a 5 ton winch for less but not as portable or handy that is for sure.
    What is the short comings of using a come along compared to the Power Puller.

Bert, Shawn Curry, 1964 262 6 and 3 others like this.
  13. AJtree88

AJtree88

I've been using these for years doing tree work. I remember working on a crew pulling a huge beech tree over; I had one "click" left when it finally went over. Talk about a rush.

Anyway, these are stout units and should last a life time. The handle is meant to collapse if over leveraged. Nothing like an Ohio made product!

Bert, Shawn Curry, 1964 262 6 and 3 others like this.
  14. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

The cable is larger in diameter than any come along I have and you have 20 feet of it with the much larger spool this has. The 2 ton comes with 35 ft of smaller cable I believe. With the extension handle is is just real easy to crank it up as well. I had a come long break up while pulling a tree last year. Luckily it was in a wooded area where it wouldn't have mattered and it just sat back on the stump. Spool pin broke through the spool. Another reason I decided to step up.

I've just had it with china stuff. I had bought a hand crank winch for another project and the FIRST time I used it, it stripped the stamped steel gears and it was junk. You don't save anything when you have to rebuy what you should have gotten in the first place. I am not saying it is for everyone but I just found it to be a nice piece that did what we were asking very well and efficiently.

Chvymn99, Bert, Mag Craft and 3 others like this.
  15. 1964 262 6

1964 262 6

i feel your pain with china crap. they are winning a war with us without firing a shot.the only thing to do is not buy their offerings, they won't continue to thrive that way. they aren't stupid, we are for sending money to them instead of products. it is a cycle that isn't in our favor.i did read the other day that their economy is slowing and the recently created middle class is starting to be unhappy. i will be interested to see how they handle these growing pains on such a big scale.

Bert, Shawn Curry and Kevin in Ohio like this.
  16. Oldman47

Oldman47

If you want to understand the economics of China, think about the US or Canada in the 1950s. The biggest difference is they can and do control their stock market and purchases of "foreign" goods.

17. NH_Wood

NH_Wood

Great review! You beat me to it - I just bought the 3 ton with blue synthetic rope (about 35' of rope) for the tree work I did for my friend in Missouri. He shipped it back to me today, so was waiting to get and take some pics before reviewing it - no need to do so now! I can't recommend this puller enough - excellent craftsmanship and it can really pull some weight. I used it to pull over each of the 4 trees I dropped. I'd suggest the blue rope rather than steel cable - adds a bit to the price, but so much nicer to use. If anyone want to see it in action, a channel on youtube call 'Wranglestar' did two review videos of the puller in action. First video is below and you can find the other easily. There are some others out there as well. I bought a stamped steel $70 comealong from tractor supply about 2 years ago and returned it two days later - complete junk. You definitely get what you pay for with this puller. Cheers!

Chvymn99, Bert, Rudedog and 2 others like this.
  18. RCBS

RCBS

I am familiar with these pullers. We sell them at my work. We pick them up directly from Newark. Even have some of the parts and replacement cables on hand. Wyeth-Scott is actually a pretty small outfit. I believe they have their castings made in PA and assemble in Newark. It speaks volumes for the product that they are still around as you can buy many 2ton pullers for far less money. Low overhead and quality product used to be how things were done. Now the mega corps decide what quality is good enough for us dumb consumers offering low quality, high volume crap. It saddens me when I look back at all the small private manufacturing that we have lost. Most all trade and hand tool manufacturers have been swallowed up by larger and larger corps and many times their best products are eliminated or redesigned to a lesser standard. Wright Tool is another private manufacturer we sell. They are based out of Barberton, OH. Very high quality hand tools made with USA steel. They are a tough sell these days when you can buy a complete set of Taiwan tools for what a 1/2" drive socket set cost from Wright. It's not that Wright gouges on pricing, its that quality costs more to make.

Sorry for thread hijack. I am passionate about Ohio's past glory and current losses of manufacturing. That stuff that comes from China used to come from here.

Barcroftb, Bert and Minnesota Marty like this.
  19. Minnesota Marty

Minnesota Marty

RCBS,
    I hear you!!!
    A few years ago, ABC News - David Murr did a story on a home builder trying to source all his materials for the house from companies that manufacture their product or mill the lumber from the USA or Canada. It was amazing to me as a builder the choice that we have down to the nails and adhesive. So, I decided I would try to always source my products from mfg's that employee people and pay them a living wage. It caused me to raise my prices about 12% on certain things. But, it is amazing from which people I get most of the complaints about my prices being higher. I won't go into that here. But, I do tell people that I try to use locally produced products from companies that manufacture in either USA or Canada.
    Don't worry about hijacking a thread.... it goes where it goes.

20. CTYank

CTYank

I've had great results with Maasdam "Pow'r-Pull" cable winches. Also made in the US. The half-ton I've used since the mid-'70s. The 1-ton is a recent addition. Not at all what I'd call expensive. I've found that if the 1-ton is not adequate for felling/bucking, the operator needs to re-evaluate the physics of the task. (Some folks I know incline to the BFI [Brute-Force and Ignorance] approach with 9000 lbs force.)
    Often, I have to lug my "winching-kit" some distance into the woods, so I appreciate the light weight of the Maasdam winches, and fabric recovery straps. :tip:Nothing against the big-iron.