In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

papadave

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by fox9988, Jan 8, 2014.

  1. fox9988

    fox9988

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,710
    Likes Received:
    8,287
    Location:
    NW Arkansas 72717
    I didn't want to highjack the 30 thread so..... how about the Ideal Steel? Seems like a good fit for you and gives cat control at low(er) price. Have you been following the beta test threads? It looks like a performer.
     
  2. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Great stove and burn times and cool features.
    I don't really like the way it looks.
    You'd think that me being a function over form guy, that looks wouldn't matter. Most times that's true.
    I'm making an exception here.
    Just looked at the Summit........clearances seem to be all wrong, and the door is handle is on the wrong side.
    NC30 would work just fine, but I'd really like better control.
    This is so cool...I have a thread named after me.
    Such a proud moment.
    Thanks for unjacking the other thread.
     
  3. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    I thought the Summit could be ordered right or left handed.......never mind I guess only the T6 can open on either side..... It seemed to me that when I got mine they said it could be ordered to open on either side but I may be wrong as that was a few years ago.
     
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  4. fox9988

    fox9988

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,710
    Likes Received:
    8,287
    Location:
    NW Arkansas 72717
    It always takes awhile for a new look to grow on me. The IS is growing on me. I like the darker color and would like to see an all black IS. Not that I'm in the market, just a fanboy:p After years of seeing the BK's in pics and seeing a Princess in person, they are even growing on me:confused: But I don't care for the iron sided BK's yet. Yes, I'm a little odd.
     
  5. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I mentioned in another thread (Flamestead's, I think) how I was beginning to like the stove a bit.
    Just still having a tough time resolving the look with my preconceived notions of how a stove should look. My problem, not the stove.
    Has anyone posted the firebox depth yet? I can't remember.
    I just went through Flamestead's thread...I'll go through Brian's again to check.
     
  6. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    Firebox measures 22" wide, 18" deep, 11" tall at rear of secondary air plate, 15" tall at front of secondary air plate.
     
  7. fox9988

    fox9988

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,710
    Likes Received:
    8,287
    Location:
    NW Arkansas 72717
    Most of the IS is customizable enough to suit me fine. But I don't like the large rectangular plain door (with the hinges on the WRONG side). Maybe there will be options to make the door look different......
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  8. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Thanks Brian, I thought you had posted that info before, but I didn't get a chance to look in your thread.
    So, the IS isn't a whole ton bigger than my stove, but mucho more efficient.:thumbs: Mine is 23" W brick to brick, can fit an 18" split front to back, and might be able to go about 11" H.
    I'll have my wife take a gander at it, and although she says she doesn't care "as long as I can see fire", this one may cause her to reconsider that line of thought.
    Who knows, maybe she'll like it and the customizable features.
    What's the measurement from c/l of flue to the back of the stove?
    That's the biggie for me to be able to fit any stove in here with my setup.
     
  9. fox9988

    fox9988

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,710
    Likes Received:
    8,287
    Location:
    NW Arkansas 72717
    I just showed my wife some IS pics. She really likes the looks of it and already had a color scheme picked out and her favorite steel accents. She also liked the price. She then asked if it was going to be our next stove. No, it's way too big for our house and the KS does a great job. She asks won't they make a smaller version of it. That got me thinking. If it sells good, I bet they will.:drunk:
     
    BrianK likes this.
  10. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    The flu collar on this Beta unit is 8" and its set 1" from the back edge of the stove so center line would be 5" from back of stove. It can be top vented or rear vented.
     
    papadave likes this.
  11. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Dave, no matter what, you are not seeing the stove in its final design so keep that in mind. There can still be plenty of changes between now and when the stove hits the market.
     
    papadave and BrianK like this.
  12. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    My wife and daughter want it to change so that it looks like their pretty Fireview again.:(

    Unfortunately the women of the house just ain't satisfied with the looks of our Beta unit. They want to know if Woodstock can wrap this one in soapstone and put a pretty door on it like the Fireview.:confused:
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  13. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    I cannot disagree with them Brian. For sure the door is one part I do not like. I had requested the hinges be hidden but got over-ruled on that one. Also for us it is hinged on the wrong side. Right now there are no plans to make it optional to open from either side but I'm hoping that will change. Perhaps it won't unless there are many requests for it.

    Are you reading this Woodstock. ;)
     
    BrianK and concretegrazer like this.
  14. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Lorin already responded that would not happen, Dennis.
    I made a comment that the door handle was on the wrong side.:thumbs:
    I have a hard time believing any changes would be so drastic as to modify the look enough so that it would be more aesthetically pleasing to me.
    However, I could be wrong. It's happened before. '72, I think it was.:rofl: :lol:
     
    fox9988 and Backwoods Savage like this.