In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Old WHIT HAS AN AREA IN THE EXHAUST THAT COLLECTS CRUD

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Snowy Rivers, Jan 15, 2016.

  1. Snowy Rivers

    Snowy Rivers

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2015
    Messages:
    2,849
    Likes Received:
    12,491
    Location:
    Newberg, Oregon
    We have had the ADV 2 T now since 2010 and I clean it regularly.

    The past few days the windows been getting sooty (Black)

    Hmmmmm, just Mucked it and sucked it a week ago.

    Decided to investigate deeper.

    Ripped out the new fire brick panels, the inner baffles and then the combustion motor too.

    Now with the super high speed suck of the leafer, I have never pulled the comb motor/fan assembly out.

    Got the fan out and looked deep into it's bowels and found a very hard crusty clump of carbon/soot/ ahhh nasty stuff nearly blocking the transfer passage behind the fire box.

    I am amazed that this formed there, and even more surprised that the leafers high speed suction did not remove it.

    Soooooo.
    With the comb fan out I ran a long snaky brittle brush clean up to it's gizzard and beyond, then sucked it good with the vacuum then again with the leafer once things were bolted back together.

    REALLY clean now.

    Tossed a fresh fire in it and WOW, I had to adjust the draft rod back a bit from what was NORMAL

    Fire really dances now.

    It appears that the issue is a really rough area in the transfer passage that allows crap to collect.

    Buttttttttt, we been running this thing since Winter of 2010 and it took this long to show the issue.

    Think I will get some of those silicone 6 inch Comb blower gaskets (reusable) and pull the fan more often.

    I also have a new fan motor with ball bearings instead of the sleeve type ya gotta oil.

    Next trip I will swap out the fan/motors and install a good silicone gasket.

    Fire barely gets above the fire pot now.

    The vent pipe is running 13o F instead of the 150 F it has been running.

    Better flow me thinks.

    The shells are burning far better and not requiring the pot to be tweaked with a putty knife so much.

    AMAZING WHAT CLEANING CAN DO EH :D
     
  2. ivanhoe

    ivanhoe

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2013
    Messages:
    2,981
    Likes Received:
    11,869
    Location:
    Northern Ontario
    Tinkering mind will always prevail:yes:
     
    Ambient likes this.
  3. Snowy Rivers

    Snowy Rivers

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2015
    Messages:
    2,849
    Likes Received:
    12,491
    Location:
    Newberg, Oregon
    Yup.

    My biggy is that these two old Whit sisters keep my house warm, and if they are not up to par I get worried.

    That's the biggest reason I bought a pair of identical stoves to repair/refurbish and have in standby mode just in case.

    Would only take an hour or so to swap out either one and have another ready to go.

    Every year my supply of spare parts grows in size.

    Blowers
    Feed motors
    Gaskets
    Bolts, nuts, screws
    Try to be ready for any possibility due to a unit/part failure.
     
    imacman and ivanhoe like this.
  4. ivanhoe

    ivanhoe

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2013
    Messages:
    2,981
    Likes Received:
    11,869
    Location:
    Northern Ontario
    Seen some Whitfield's for sale in my area and some are asking gold for it? One with cracked glass and wants $400!
     
    imacman likes this.
  5. Snowy Rivers

    Snowy Rivers

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2015
    Messages:
    2,849
    Likes Received:
    12,491
    Location:
    Newberg, Oregon
    OMG

    I want them in top shape and pay no more than $200 for em !!!!!

    If they are structurally sound and such they might be worth $400 but they gotta be nearly perfect for that $$$$

    Cracked glass and other defects, and the $$$$ goes down quick.
     
    imacman likes this.