In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Saranac insert convection blower

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by barbedwiredave, Jan 13, 2016.

  1. barbedwiredave

    barbedwiredave

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2016
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Hagerstown
    My Hudson River Saranac inserts (Tasman 40000) convection blower is getting a little noisy on the high setting. I'm pretty sure the original motor is a 160 CFM fan and the tag on it has these specs, 115v 60hz 1.5A 3000 rpm. I know Smokeythebear upgraded the convection blower on his Saranac to the 230CFM unit from a Magnum Countryside but that unit is no longer available. I found a unit that is listed at 265CFM free air, 115v 60hz 1.86A. Would this be suitable replacement?
     
    Horkn, ivanhoe and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  2. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    jtakeman is pretty good with looking up replacements.

    And SmokeyTheBear should be able to help as well.

    Do you have pics of the two units? Does the new unit look like it'll fit?
     
  3. barbedwiredave

    barbedwiredave

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2016
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Hagerstown
    It is larger but since it is going in a insert it doesn't have to fit inside the chassis. I know I will have to probably mark the flange and drill new holes. I was concerned about it being to many CFM and the amp difference of 1.5A on the original and 1.86A on the larger one.
     
    ivanhoe likes this.
  4. barbedwiredave

    barbedwiredave

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2016
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Hagerstown
    Some background on how I run the stove. It has heat settings 1-5 with each step up increasing convection speed, I can also turn the fan to high manually. I usually run the stove on 1 or 2 with the convection fan on high and when the room is warm I turn it down, rarely on settings 3-4 for about 1 hour at a time and almost never on 5. I was thinking the higher CFM fan could keep me having to run the fan on high as much
     
    Horkn, IHATEPROPANE and ivanhoe like this.
  5. ivanhoe

    ivanhoe

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2013
    Messages:
    2,981
    Likes Received:
    11,869
    Location:
    Northern Ontario
    Welcome aboard barbedwiredave:cheers: Hope you find a suitable replacement:yes:
     
  6. barbedwiredave

    barbedwiredave

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2016
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Hagerstown
    Thank you! :thumbs:
     
    ivanhoe, Horkn and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  7. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    X2.. Where are my manners!

    Welcome to FHC! !
     
  8. gbreda

    gbreda

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    7,506
    Likes Received:
    37,200
    Location:
    NH
    Welcome dave !!!

    Any headway on a replacement? The higher CFM could potentially lower your output air temp a little when run on high, but I wouldn't worry about it. If it fits, give it a try!
     
    ivanhoe and Horkn like this.
  9. imacman

    imacman

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    6,633
    Likes Received:
    27,528
    Location:
    Denver, NC
    First of all, welcome to the forum. :handshake:

    Second, have you tried oiling the noisy conv. motor bearings? Many of them have oil ports. Let me know if you need pics of them.
     
    ivanhoe, gbreda and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  10. barbedwiredave

    barbedwiredave

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2016
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Hagerstown
    I did give it some more oil but the noise is still there, albeit intermittently now
     
    ivanhoe likes this.
  11. barbedwiredave

    barbedwiredave

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2016
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Hagerstown
    I did order a Dayton 1tdr3, rated at 273 cfm free air but drops to 240 or below with resistance. I'm not too worried about the drop in temp, on low burn and low fan the outside edge of the convection tubes have been over 400 degrees usually around 450. If I run the fan on high on the lowest burn setting they drop to about 350. I do have 2 concerns about the fan I ordered, first being the flange size and if it will be close enough for me to drill new mount holes. Second is it being a PSC fan while the old one is a shaded pole. I've see some people say the speed control works and others say no. It's supposed to be delivered on Tuesday so when I get a chance to look it over I'll report back :salute:
     
    ivanhoe and imacman like this.
  12. gbreda

    gbreda

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    7,506
    Likes Received:
    37,200
    Location:
    NH
    The size thing will be self explainatory on being able to refit it to the stove. The psc vs shaded pole area, maybe jtakeman, imacman or others can chime in on.
     
    ivanhoe likes this.
  13. imacman

    imacman

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    6,633
    Likes Received:
    27,528
    Location:
    Denver, NC
    Jay is "the man" for you on that question.
     
    gbreda and ivanhoe like this.
  14. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,278
    Likes Received:
    58,474
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    Welcome Dave!!
     
    ivanhoe likes this.
  15. jtakeman

    jtakeman Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,312
    Likes Received:
    55,506
    Location:
    NW CT foothills
    Howdy Dave,

    Some of the motors Grainger sells are actually shaded pole oem(usually specified). PSC will have a capacitor on the housing. The PSC won't likely be speed controllable by the stoves control board. Its likely to run balls out no matter what the controller tells it. PSC is generally used for full on continues duty fans in high heat area's. Where the shaded pole stuff is for general service.I installed one in a breckwell bigE and its still going, But the stove is usually not run in the lowest setting and the user is happy with it.

    IIRC you need to control a shaded pole with voltage and a PSC with amps?? Buts its been a while, So someone correct me if I'm wrong. Most controllers will control voltage to the blower to reduce its speed. A PSC will use the cap to continually go one speed and thats is high IIRC.
     
  16. barbedwiredave

    barbedwiredave

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2016
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Hagerstown
    Thanks Jay
     
    imacman, jtakeman and ivanhoe like this.
  17. gbreda

    gbreda

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    7,506
    Likes Received:
    37,200
    Location:
    NH
    Man. I havnt heard that model for a LONG time. I was looking at it during my stove hunt back in 2008.
     
    ivanhoe, IHATEPROPANE and imacman like this.
  18. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    ivanhoe and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  19. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    barbedwiredave likes this.
  20. barbedwiredave

    barbedwiredave

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2016
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Hagerstown
    Thanks Don
     
    IHATEPROPANE likes this.