In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Getting ready.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Gasifier, Jan 5, 2014.

  1. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    I have the next four days where I will be busy for 14 hours a day. And the cold weather is coming back. So I did not want to have to bring wood in, the kids helped me stock up on wood in the basement. This should last a while.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Looks good! I managed to get some in and stacked on the hearth today also. How often do you have to reload that gasifier in these temps?
     
    Gasifier likes this.
  3. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Thanks certified. With the temps I have now, twenties and little to no wind, I can go 10-12 hours. With the temps we were having before, -15 with a slight wind, I could get 7 hours out of it and my 400 gallon buffer tank(heat bank). Not to shabby for heating 4200 sq.ft. of living space, a 900 sq.ft. garage to 45°, and all our domestic hot water(DHW). :cool:
     
  4. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Wow that sounds great, it's doing awesome to heat all of that in those temps! very nice setup.
     
    Gasifier likes this.
  5. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    Going to be record lows here tomorrow and Tuesday - 9f and 6F highs tomorrow aren't supposed to break mid 20's with 20-30mph winds.
    Fortunately I've made my way into the 3yr hickory stack with some white oak sprinkled in.
    Have a good stack on the front porch so not to walk very far... but damm it was 52 today, going out in my shorts to heat trace the spigots and well head was scratching my head.
    Supposedly hasn't been this cold since the early 80's down here - house was built in 80-81 so can't be sure anything else won't freeze with 2x4 walls

    Probably be getting up every couple hours to run the sinks and flush the toilet that is exposed to exterior wall
     
    Backwoods Savage and Gasifier like this.
  6. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Until my father got the insulation problem fixed at their house, they use to have to leave the faucet with a very slight little trickle going in the cold water pipe when it went below zero. Just that little bit of movement in the water was enough to keep it from freezing. They would also leave the cabinet doors under the sink open. I just had to fix a problem with our dishwasher not long ago. Took me a while to figure out what the hell was wrong. There was one section of piping in the wall behind the dishwasher where they installed the insulation on this side of the pipe instead of behind it between it and the outside! :mad: I knew where the line was so I cut the sheetrock and found the insulation on the inside of the pipe, cut it and tucked it all in behind the pipe and then added some more and left the sheetrock off. Can't see it anyway. Should never freeze now.
     
    papadave likes this.
  7. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    :eek: Quick save the beer from the fire Gas!
     
    thewoodlands and Gasifier like this.