In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Solved--Huskee 22 ton burning oil

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by bocefus78, Dec 21, 2015.

  1. bocefus78

    bocefus78

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Messages:
    3,694
    Likes Received:
    19,840
    Location:
    Indiana
    For a couple years I have been noticing oil smell while running the splitter. I just always checked and added as needed.

    Well, I figured it all out with a stroke of dumb luck. When towing the splitter with the atv or garden tractor, it rides tongue down since the ball sits so low. Well, when you pull it around like that, oil flows into the muffler!

    I left it sit hooked up to the atv for a month+ which is by far the longest it has sat un-level. When I fired it up, the thing blew smoke everywhere, and oil all over itself!

    After I shut it down and let it sit level, to drain oil back to crankcase, she ran like normal. No oil puking, minimal smoke (burning what was left in the muffler).

    In a previous thread, there were some owners (me included) that thought these motors were prone to burning oil. In my case, it was simply due to being towed with the tongue pointed at the ground. Lesson learned.

    Hope this helps someone.
     
  2. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,283
    Likes Received:
    66,664
    Location:
    IN
    Good info. Thanks for posting.
     
    Horkn and Canadian border VT like this.
  3. Gary_602z

    Gary_602z

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,464
    Likes Received:
    12,340
    Location:
    Lake Odessa, Michigan
    How is it getting past the rings?

    Gary
     
    Jeffrey Svoboda likes this.
  4. Jeffrey Svoboda

    Jeffrey Svoboda

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    2,850
    Likes Received:
    16,786
    Location:
    Michigan
    This doesn't seam correct. Oil shouldn't be able to flow into the muffler unless you stand the engine up on the muffler and leave it there for awhile. Which shouldn't be possible with the engine connected to the splitter. I'm not familiar with single cylinder engines but wait...... What engine is on the splitter?
     
  5. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    Similar to a lawnmower engine.

    Can also drool up past the valve stems and get in the exhaust that way.

    Rings are far from a 100% seal.

    Prime example:


    image.jpg

    image.jpg
     
    OldJack, Horkn, bobdog2o02 and 2 others like this.
  6. mod586

    mod586

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2015
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    coeymans new york
     
  7. mod586

    mod586

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2015
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    coeymans new york
    you should always keep the spark plug level or pointing up so the oil does not leak by the valves.
     
  8. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    That engine has far bigger issues.... :rofl: :lol:

    One day I might investigate them. It's off of my Deere 14PZ, a machine that I love. I thought I'd try retrofitting a Honda GC series onto it but that's been a no-go so far due to blade adapter issues.
     
    bobdog2o02 likes this.
  9. Jeffrey Svoboda

    Jeffrey Svoboda

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    2,850
    Likes Received:
    16,786
    Location:
    Michigan
    If the cylinder is horizontal like this one I would imagine it is normal to store the engine flat. But if the cylinder is vertical it doesn't make sense. It shouldn't leak oil out the exhaust.
     
  10. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    Both mine and the OP's engines are horizontal cylinders. You certainly could stand them up with the spark plugs on top as long as the fuel tank is empty and you wouldn't have oil running past the valve guides and the rings.
     
    Jeffrey Svoboda likes this.