40 degrees here today, the stove is rolling along nicely and I wanted to make a Tourtiere out in the mud oven. The wind was blustery from the northwest. I used a bit of pine to keep the fire active. I soaked and cooked some beans inside for a little bit to soften them up. I filled the 2 quart Ransbottom crock and put up a few bricks to block the direct heat. I made the pork pie while the oven was firing. I raked out the coals and put the pie in along with some sweet potatoes with butter, salt and brown sugar. Halfway check and rotation. 45 minutes later and everything is done. The beans are sweet and and the pie was savory. A great combination.
Been waiting for a post from the WFO Looks great. My Tourtiere recipe suggests turkey or chicken instead of pork. I tried it with turkey and it was good.
Was the turkey ground up or just cut into smaller pieces? That sounds like a good option. This mornings leftovers for breakfast with some eggs over easy.
I got ground turkey and made it with that. I would think that you could use leftover turkey from Christmas dinner as well. It would shorten the cooking time.