In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

NH Ch9 forecast of -12 Deg F - Can your stove handle it? or what supplemental heat will you use?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by don2222, Jan 1, 2014.

  1. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Hello

    It has not been -12 around here for many, many years! Also a huge snowstorm! Many schools already closed down for tomorrow! 6-12 inches forecasted!

    If Harmy1 (P61a) cannot hack it, I will kick in Harmy2 (P61a) for double the wood pellet heat!

    Click on pic to enlarge and see full forecast! Yikes
    Storm has a name now "Hercules"
     

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  2. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    Hope you have better luck with those pellet stoves than I did. Tried two of them for one season several years ago. That winter was above normal for us and I used 8 ton andcouldn't get the house any warmer than 68. Right now it is -26 here going down to -32 with a -41 windchill factored in. It is 78 in here right now and I have used about 2 and 1/2 cords so far this winter running 24/7. They just don't cut it up here. Good luck, stay warm.
     
  3. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    What 2 stoves did you have? I can easily heat just over 2,000 sq ft using only 1/3 the output of a 50,000 BTU unit.

    You get what you pay for..
     
  4. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    l

    One was a Englander and the other was a canadian mfg.. I am sure the technology has advanced since then. Due to the set up of my house I had to try to move the heat around from the area of the stoves. I found that they would adequately heat the area they were in, but the heat was uneven in other areas. As well, I thought they were more labor intensive overall and needed a fair amount of electricity to operate. I am able to heat my whole house evenly on less than 4 cords a winter burning 24/7 with about 1/3 the work maintaining the stove(s). They may work down south where the winters are alot less severe, but up here they just don't produce what we need. A number of folks in this area tried them and found similar results. Right now you would have a hard time selling a used pellet stove in this area. They do make good room heaters though.
     
  5. IHATEPROPANE

    IHATEPROPANE

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,677
    Likes Received:
    19,109
    One stove should be able to heat a space that only requires 4 cords. Although the heat is often hard distribute evenly without a furnace or a bunch of fans everywhere
     
  6. jtakeman

    jtakeman Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,312
    Likes Received:
    55,506
    Location:
    NW CT foothills
    I remember trying to help rottiman out with the pellet stoves. He was doing all he could. Probably needed stoves with more horsepower and better(more effiecent) heat exchangers. Don't forget the wood eaters BTU rating is usually under rated and a pellet eater is for the most part over rated. Maybe a combo of pellet and wood stoves could have worked. Or maybe a couple of monster BTU pellet beast's could have been enough. I honestly could not blame him for throwing in the towel!!!

    Almost did that myself the first season with pellet heat. But being able to keep the wood eater to assist the pellet stove was what we ended up doing.

    Don2222, my beast has been through -28°F and we woke up sweating! The beast would melt the walls if I didn't have it on a stat!!
     
    imacman and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  7. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    My point exactly, taking into consideration added on going stove maint., increased electricity cost to produce and move the heat, and the concept of convection heating vs. radiant heating,the pellet concept may work for some, especially those in more southern climes vs. the colder north country. I tried it up here as did a number of people and found that wood is the better alternative for here. If it works for some, great. I tried it and it was a bust for me. Keep warm.
     
    IHATEPROPANE likes this.
  8. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,278
    Likes Received:
    58,475
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    Gotta do what works best for your situation...I think we all just want to save as much dough as we can!!
     
    IHATEPROPANE likes this.
  9. IHATEPROPANE

    IHATEPROPANE

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,677
    Likes Received:
    19,109
    What makes me wonder is the 4 tons of cord wood usage. That is not a crazy amount of btus. A single pellet stove could easily produce the same. Roughly 4-5 tons equivalent if I am correct. Its just my curiosity really. The face of it seems like one stove would be adequate.
     
    jtakeman likes this.
  10. jtakeman

    jtakeman Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,312
    Likes Received:
    55,506
    Location:
    NW CT foothills
    If all the heat was applied to the dwelling, I'd agree. But it seemed to send an amount out the flue or another form of heat loss. Heat exchangers seemed to be some of the issues. Never liked the box type heat exchanger compared to a tube type. IMHO the box type is far less effient! Just a theory tis all.
     
  11. IHATEPROPANE

    IHATEPROPANE

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,677
    Likes Received:
    19,109
    Yes this would make sense......I am not a fan of those box exchangers either.
     
  12. imacman

    imacman

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    6,633
    Likes Received:
    27,528
    Location:
    Denver, NC
    I'd be interested in Mike H.'s efficiency numbers for the various Englander stoves.
     
  13. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh

    I agree 1,000,000%!!

    Not all stoves are created equal either. A 50,000 BTU unit with a good heat exchange system, will blow the doors off of a stove will a poorly designed heat exchanger.

    I have owned numerous stoves now, and my Father has had a couple, many friends and family have them. Let me tell you that some stoves shouldn't be on the market, and other are amazing little "sleeper" heaters.

    A 4 cord winter would be easily done with a good, modern heater, with an efficient heat exchange system. My Quadrafire had a phenomenal heat exchanger and was anxious to see if the New Enerzone would do as well. Well it did, it blows the doors off of my Quad!

    Location, Heat Loss, Efficiency of unit, and natural convection are 4 things that effect any stove.

    I love my wood stove, but if given the choice, pellet is easier, cleaner, cheaper (I have CAD Bad), automated, and easy enough for the wife to work on (she can turn up the stat, but when I showed her how to adjust the air on the 30, she didn't want anything to do with it.

    Different strokes. Different folks. That's what brings us all back here.
     
    jtakeman, IHATEPROPANE and eatonpcat like this.
  14. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    Its not 4 ton of cordwood usage. It is 4 bush cord which runs me thru the entire heating season.
     
  15. IHATEPROPANE

    IHATEPROPANE

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,677
    Likes Received:
    19,109
    Oh sorry lol, I meant 4 cords not 4 tons of cordwood.......had pellets on the brain
     
  16. Lousyweather

    Lousyweather

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2013
    Messages:
    2,798
    Likes Received:
    9,040
    MA, -10, 15 year old P61, 2000 square feet, NO problem.....AND even burning NEWPs! o_O
     
    jtakeman and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  17. jtakeman

    jtakeman Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,312
    Likes Received:
    55,506
    Location:
    NW CT foothills
    How many bags did it chew through last night? Mine dam near eat 3 of em. But I was toasty. :D
     
  18. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    I was at 1.5 bags in 24 hrs :)
     
  19. Lousyweather

    Lousyweather

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2013
    Messages:
    2,798
    Likes Received:
    9,040
    I was closer to Dex....I filled it at 11PM, refilled it at 7AM....used about a bag, but, over a 24 hour period, I'll be around 2 bags, maybe a bit more with this cold....
     
  20. Lousyweather

    Lousyweather

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2013
    Messages:
    2,798
    Likes Received:
    9,040
    as an aside, I am LOVING this cold! Makes me look forward to my trip to St Martin in March....anyone else been there? (hijack- opps)
     
    slvrblkk and DexterDay like this.