In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Does anyone burn corn?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by swags, Jan 3, 2014.

  1. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    My uncle has a corn only stove that he hasn't run in a while because corn prices had gone up the last few years. Just curious if anyone here burns corn or has. Good, bad, both?
     
  2. smoke show

    smoke show

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,983
    Likes Received:
    13,948
    Location:
    Pittsfield, Wi
    Like your uncle, price kills it for me...
     
  3. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Hmmm, still curious about it. I can get the stove for free so my initial cost would be way down from buying a stove. And it would be used as secondary heat to the wood burner. Set on the opposite side of the house in the kitchen which is the coldest room in the house. Corn is low right now but like always that can change in a year. I love burning the wood stove though and enjoy the cutting and splitting, don't know what option I should go for.
     
  4. jtakeman

    jtakeman Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,312
    Likes Received:
    55,506
    Location:
    NW CT foothills
    Corn prices kill it for me too, But did fine in my stove(when it was reasonable). Cheap wood pellets are the best bang for the buck for me. Some corn stoves can burn wood pellets, Its possible there is a kit or mod to convert to pellets. Post the stove info so we can have a look see.
     
  5. smoke show

    smoke show

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,983
    Likes Received:
    13,948
    Location:
    Pittsfield, Wi
    x2. Some of those old corn stoves were better served as a boat anchor.
     
  6. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Get the model or a picture. Even if there isn't a kit available. Some can be modified by doing a few small things and burn pellets with ease.

    Hell, even some actual pellet stoves don't burn pellets that well!! Poor design , poor engineering, or just poor construction.
     
  7. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Ok went and looked, it's a Nesco model 7100
     

    Attached Files:

  8. 343amc

    343amc

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,749
    Likes Received:
    5,770
    Location:
    Northeast Lower Michigan
    I never burned 100% corn. I burned cherry pits in my 6041 a couple years back. Those made the inside of the stove look like a giant snowglobe.

    If corn becomes more reasonably priced I'd be tempted to give it a shot.
     
  9. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    That's a furnace model? But can be used as freestanding as well?

    Pretty sure they made a pellet kit (at least I think Amazablaze did?). Because that furnace was sold under many nes. Nesco, Amazablaze, Etc.

    They used a special vent, similar to the Selkirk DT that's made today. OAK and exhaust in one vent.

    For free, I would make it work. Take all motors out and clean/lube them. Block some holes in the top of the burn pot (pellets need more air under them/ corn pots have holes all the way up for the clicker to build and still have available air for the fire, no matter where it's at in the pot).

    Do you have a big space to put it? It is gonna crank some BTU's.
     
  10. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    It would be going in my kitchen/pantry area. It's on the opposite side of the house from the wood stove and those rooms are always cold. My thought was to keep it burning on low and hopefully not run through too much corn.

    From a google search the amaizablaze popped up, so that is likely what it is. I know my uncle had used it as a freestanding model, so should be fine there. Worst case I figured I would put it in my barn workshop area for heat as needed if I decide I don't like it in the house.
     
  11. defiant

    defiant

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    209
    Likes Received:
    579
    Location:
    Old Lyme, CT
    Wow just checked that unit out!!!Looks like a serious heater, good luck with it :cool:
     
  12. jtakeman

    jtakeman Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,312
    Likes Received:
    55,506
    Location:
    NW CT foothills
    swags likes this.
  13. imacman

    imacman

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    6,633
    Likes Received:
    27,528
    Location:
    Denver, NC
    Maybe, but I looked at the owners manual. "Use clean shelled corn for fuel only. Do not use seed corn. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER TYPE FUELS! "

    That said, I bet (cheap) wood pellets could be mixed in at about 25% and the stove wouldn't know the difference.
     
  14. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Might try the mix, i think I'll go pickup the stove this weekend
     
  15. imacman

    imacman

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    6,633
    Likes Received:
    27,528
    Location:
    Denver, NC
    Hopefully you get the exhaust pipe with it. If not, don't forget it needs corn-rated pipe.
     
  16. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    I should get the pipe too, they won't have any use for it.
     
    DexterDay likes this.
  17. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Yep. I think we may have a convert once he sets it up!

    The Amaziblaze is the same unit and they have a kit (pot) for pellets. The only difference is the pot. The current pot will need a slight modification.

    Get the stove and I will come out and help you. The vent is like the DC and nd Bixby vent, but it's not needed 100%. That just incorporates the OAK. If you used standard venting ( I have a Bixby right now that I use standard venting on) the OAK just draws from within your house.
     
  18. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Will take you up on that!
     
  19. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Please do. Always a pleasure.
     
  20. Lousyweather

    Lousyweather

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2013
    Messages:
    2,798
    Likes Received:
    9,040
    corn makes perfect sense in some areas of the country, given the proper stove, but, in the largest pellet market in the country, it tend to not make a lot of sense:

    1. Rodents LOVE it!
    2. In our humid environs, it doesn't over-summer well (wants to mold)
    3. Due to the starches, the exhaust tends to be more corrosive to the stove and pipe
    4. It tends to have more ash
    5. The only corn available here is bagged, which adds the cost of an already expensive product
    6. Availability here is scant
    7. One has to take care to get a moisture content that is low enough so as not to lose too many BTU's to driving off the moisture
    8. Whatever I forgot :eek:
     
    DexterDay and swags like this.