I was on my way to Lewiston yesterday on interstate 95. On the side of the road, I saw several trees down, whole trees. Some with trucks up to a foot wide. This went on for a few miles when I came across a crew that had this big thing that grabbed the trees and fed them butt end into a chipper. It was mixed wood, but a sizable amount of it was hard wood. Horrid waste of resources. I wonder how much of an effort it would have been to haul that wood off to a yard and open it up to charity.
Coming this Spring to a Big Box store near you... mulch. Cut up/ chipped with taxpayer $, dyed, bagged and sold back to us for our flowerbeds? Mmmmm...pretty.
That would be great if the state can sell it, but if it was a contracted crew doing it, I would think that would be very possible.
The town shredded up about a half dozen big ash trees within a mile of my house. 2 of them were over 20" dbh. I would've taken them gladly. Instead they were made into mulch, and not btu's.
General public + chainsaws + public land = liability. Sadly, it would never fly here. Agreed that it could be put to better use.
Ya. No hauling cost and no further liability issues. Too bad. But it will feed the trees left there in the woods.