In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Piecing down a widow maker.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by stuckinthemuck, Jan 3, 2014.

  1. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
    I guess it was almost 3 weeks ago when I did this one. I had an oak at the back of the property that had been cut years ago, came off the stump but got hung up in an adjacent tree. In the first pic, I had already cut a couple of 4-5 foot sections out by cutting vertical since it had a pretty good lean. As I cut more and more sections, the tree became more vertical (less lean) which made me pretty uncomfortable as I was concerned about the tree coming back toward me and my neighbor's house (the stone wall is the property line). So I notched it on the side that I was going to pull from, put a notch in the far side so the rope would stay in and then pulled.

    Here's the setup with the original stump in the foreground.

    IMG_0877.jpg
    Here's the top of the tree hung up on the branch of another red oak.
    IMG_0878.jpg
    Here's how I notched the tree for the impending pull. If I had to do it over again, I would have put the rope below the notch. If I had done that, the rope wouldn't have ended up buried in the ground as you can see in the pic two pics after this one.
    IMG_0880.jpg
    Here's my truck hooked up to the rope in the neighbor's yard. She said that her husband would be happy to see that tree down as it's been there for years (well before we bought the house).
    IMG_0882.jpg
    Here it is after the pull. It gave the tree a good lean once again so I could continue piecing it down with one more vertical cut.
    IMG_0881.jpg
    And here it is on the ground. The top of it is lying across the rectangular wire mesh fence which I was able to straighten out in 5 minutes.
    IMG_0883.jpg
    And here's the best part of the story. Three moisture readings and this is the highest one. Been burning this stuff to get us through the coldest days so far. But I need more!!!
    IMG_0890.JPG

    Obviously every situation is different and my method of handling this one may not apply to every situation out there, but I got it down and still have all of my fingers and toes.
     
    Steve, mdavlee, Pallet Pete and 2 others like this.
  2. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Good job! Those are always nervous situations.
     
    mdavlee and BuckthornBonnie like this.
  3. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    So wait a sec, you dry your wood by hanging it in other trees before you C/S/S it? Brilliant! :rofl: :lol:;)

    Good job getting that thing down!
     
  4. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Smart
    may pinch a rope, but no other damage.
    nice idea.
    (saw in the pic for picture enhancement, moved before the pull ?) :)
     
    mdavlee and Pallet Pete like this.
  5. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
    Thanks Swags. I agree. I think that is one situation when it would be nice to have a longer bar. So the toes can be a little further away when piecing down the sections with the vertical cuts.:whistle:

    Yes sir. Isn't that they way that everyone dries their wood? Just leave a bunch of 'em leaning in the forest.:p Thanks.

    I put the saw in for scale and yes, it was moved prior to the pull. After I did the pull, i wished I had taken a video just to show how it went, but I tend to think those who video these things end up on the threads of "how not to" get something done.

    Every other time I've done something like this, I've just tried to pull the leaner from the bottom which requires a ton more brute force. Then I came up with this idea and it was a piece of cake.:smoke:
     
    mdavlee and Pallet Pete like this.
  6. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Nice work there stuck! Good BTUs right there.
     
    mdavlee and Pallet Pete like this.
  7. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Great job! Glad to see it safely down and on the ground!
     
    mdavlee and Pallet Pete like this.
  8. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
    Thanks Gents.. And glad to not be starring in a youtube video. Now to hang up another one for 10 years of drying!!;)
     
    Certified106 and Pallet Pete like this.
  9. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    10 years is still green it's gotta go at least 15! Every body knows that...:rofl: :lol:

    Nice job that looks like a hair raiser to me!
     
    mdavlee likes this.
  10. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
    Thanks Pete, Looks like it's time for me to start a new long term experiment since I don't know exactly when this one first came off the stump. I'll hang two up today, piece one down in 10 years and one down in 15. Once my experiment is done, I'll get back to ya... If either of them fall down prematurely, I'll have to start over!!! That'll give me some time to drink a few beers.:drunk:
     
    mdavlee and Pallet Pete like this.
  11. amateur cutter

    amateur cutter

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    5,997
    Likes Received:
    48,771
    Location:
    Gun Lake MI
    Nice job, rope above notch was better, reason being, if that wedge cut snapped while pulling, you've lost control completely, bottom of tree swings back toward lean, & the top fall toward, truck, house, whatever. I've take a few leaners that way, & it's worked out pretty well. Good work. A C
     
    mdavlee and Backwoods Savage like this.
  12. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
    Thanks AC... Didn't even think of that possibility but it makes perfect sense. Will keep it in mind for the next time. :thumbs:
     
    mdavlee likes this.
  13. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Nice work. Great pics too!
     
  14. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
    Thanks Zap. Trying to learn from the pic master!!;)
     
  15. amateur cutter

    amateur cutter

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    5,997
    Likes Received:
    48,771
    Location:
    Gun Lake MI
    Yea, plus one to Zap's comment. Very nice pics. Every tree is a learning experience, & leaners tend to be hard teachers sometimes. Guy I learned from told me to always stand back & ask myself " what could possibly go wrong here?" Said if I thought my way trough it first I'd live longer. Good advice from an old pro. A C
     
    Backwoods Savage and MasterMech like this.
  16. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,188
    Location:
    Central MI
    Funny AC, that is the first thing I noticed about your cutting. That told me a lot about you right there. Best part is that you know you can still make mistakes and you did a few that one day. But you lived to tell about it. lol
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  17. amateur cutter

    amateur cutter

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    5,997
    Likes Received:
    48,771
    Location:
    Gun Lake MI
    Ha, yea no kidding. At least we didn't get a power line or lose any of our own limbs. Well anyway, I'm in from plowing & headed to bed. -5F & blowing something fierce here. Glad to be in & warm. A C
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  18. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,188
    Location:
    Central MI
    I need to get a picture to show what is left yet to cut. We've made a decent dent in it for no longer than we've worked. I also hauled that twin spruce in back to use as rabbit houses along with the top of one tree. That will save a lot of cutting. They want us to save everything larger than 1" diameter. That slows the process a lot.