In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

This is absolutely fantastic. A must read/watch for all.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by MasterMech, Jan 1, 2014.

  1. fox9988

    fox9988

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,710
    Likes Received:
    8,287
    Location:
    NW Arkansas 72717
    My wife has a masters from a "full" ride academic scholarship, graduated with $40k debt. Could have been lots worse. She is a teacher and loves it but doesn't make much. She could and has made 2-4 times the money as a mason/foreman.

    I have no degree and made good money with a framing crew before the housing market crashed. I switched over to commercial framing until 2008 and did ok. Now I'm on the fire dept and still make considerably more than my wife.

    Not that a degree is a bad thing, but if you can't find a job in the field it's just a money pit. Kids these days grow up thinking, "I'll go to college and then make lots of money". That is their entire plan.
     
    savemoney and concretegrazer like this.
  2. SmokeyTheBear

    SmokeyTheBear

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    8,324
    Likes Received:
    39,419
    Location:
    Standish, ME
    Not the Mommy and Daddy at this house, no way, no how.

    Not so sure about that last part these days Dexter, seems a lot of folk do that for a living (just look around).
     
    the GOAT and concretegrazer like this.
  3. SmokeyTheBear

    SmokeyTheBear

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    8,324
    Likes Received:
    39,419
    Location:
    Standish, ME
    Sorry, you are more likely to get part of the bill for that fiasco.

    Current status Australian Icebreaker has been ordered to hold station as the Chinese Icebreaker that provided the helicopter rescue has signaled it might be in need of help.

    The USCG Polar Star is currently headed to McMurdo on a re-provision deployment and could end up joining in the operation.
     
  4. concretegrazer

    concretegrazer

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,429
    Likes Received:
    12,455
    Location:
    Southwest MO
    Oh how I would love to be debt free.
    Almost there.....
     
    SmokeyTheBear, the GOAT and savemoney like this.
  5. SmokeyTheBear

    SmokeyTheBear

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    8,324
    Likes Received:
    39,419
    Location:
    Standish, ME
    Got there in 1999. You can also do it.
     
    the GOAT, defiant, fox9988 and 2 others like this.
  6. concretegrazer

    concretegrazer

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,429
    Likes Received:
    12,455
    Location:
    Southwest MO
    I was planning on being there this at the end of 2013. But 2012's drought nocked me down. Looks like 2 more years praying for less. I'll get there!
     
    SmokeyTheBear and savemoney like this.
  7. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,613
    Location:
    IN
    I don't owe anybody a dime for anything.
     
  8. Mitch Newton

    Mitch Newton

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    905
    Likes Received:
    3,366
    Location:
    Beavercreek, Ohio
    I believe it should be law that every kid that graduates from high school be trained in a vocation in order to graduate, even if going to college. In my 60 years, I have learned that you can never count on any one job or one company for life. Come out of high school with some training or a certificate in something. Then when you lose that college educated job you have something to fall back on. Most people will have many different jobs thru-out their life.
     
  9. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    My home and I only have 15 yrs left, or about 11.5-12 yrs based on what we currently pay extra to the principal. I will be under 45 when this place is "Mine". :)

    Put money away... 401k, stocks, bonds, Roth IRA's. Have a plan. I look forward to retirement :) Have a plan and we are sticking to it.

    As for the lazy comment STB. Yeah, I see to many people I know doing nothing and living just fine.
     
  10. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,613
    Location:
    IN
    My first house was "mine" when I was 26....then we upgraded and it was "mine" again at 32.
     
    savemoney likes this.
  11. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    There are far worse things to be in debt over than your home. Going thousands into debt for TV's and other things that are worthless a year after you buy them doesn't make a lick of sense to me. But denying yourself any pleasures in life simply to avoid debt is no good either. If you want a new car, can pay it off in 2-3 years at 0% interest, what's wrong with that? :) Buying the same car, paying high interest rates for 7 years or more (or never paying it off!) is where folks get themselves into trouble. I know grown men who will complain about shoveling their driveway, the time it takes, the labor, the cold, blah blah blah, and will not go spend $5-600 for a brand-new snow blower. Nevermind getting something cheap/used off CL and fixing it. But the same man will go blow $500 on a brand-new video game system and not think twice about dropping $1000 plus on a new TV to go with it. All the while shelling out between $1500-$2000 a month for rent. Say what?! :confused:

    At the rate we're going, this place could be paid for by the time I turn 35. But Mama wants to add on and that's going to change that a bit.
     
  12. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,613
    Location:
    IN
    I don't disagree with any of that...but I get much more enjoyment being debt free than what I would get out of anything else I would buy with the $. To each their own...and not all debt is bad...but some surely is.
     
    concretegrazer and the GOAT like this.
  13. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Debt is like anything else you buy, if you can afford the debt, that the most important thing. When you can't afford the debt, then you stick it to someone else, not a good thing. Having some debt that you manage properly will give you a good credit rating. Being debt free because you don't have anything to manage won't give you a good rating either.
    Buy it wit. A CC and pay it off at the end of the month works well.
     
    fox9988 likes this.
  14. SmokeyTheBear

    SmokeyTheBear

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    8,324
    Likes Received:
    39,419
    Location:
    Standish, ME
    Let's see when the boss went out and got her new car they wanted to know what she did, who she worked for, and for how long. She told them she was going to school, and had just quit her job. They then asked about me and she told them that I had just changed jobs. Well that was that until she suggested they call and check our credit rating. She came home with a new car, she could have put it on our CC.
     
  15. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,279
    Likes Received:
    58,485
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    I'm lazy and I'm doing Okay!!
     
  16. 343amc

    343amc

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,749
    Likes Received:
    5,770
    Location:
    Northeast Lower Michigan
    I've got a 4 year degree (2 years at a community college, 2 at a state college), but I can't say that its really necessary in the line of work I'm in now. I graduated nearly 16 years ago. 4 years of school tuition then wouldn't cover a year these days. I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up back then, and I'm still not 100% sure what I want to be when I grow up now. :)

    I have a shade over 3 years until my house is paid for. I bought it in 2001 on a 15 year loan. I wanted to have it paid off by the time I hit 40 but that probably won't happen (only 13 months to go until I hit that mark). My goal is to retire at 55 - retirement not meaning ceasing to work entirely, but rather getting away from 24/7 on call schedules and the technology world in general. Maybe work at a sporting goods shop or drive a delivery truck for an auto parts store....
     
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  17. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
  18. IHATEPROPANE

    IHATEPROPANE

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,678
    Likes Received:
    19,109
    There is really only one thing needed to be successful. And that is ambition.
     
  19. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
  20. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    Not at all. Its a good piece for everyone to see esp if they missed the first thread.