In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sighted in the .270 today.

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by Certified106, Jan 1, 2014.

  1. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    I have a Remington 700 in .270 caliber which I recently bought a Nikon Buckmaster scope for and I finally got to the gun club to sight it in. Here's the results from today on the 200 yard range. I don't think they are to shabby for cheap winchester power point ammo. After the 200 yard range I took it to the 300 yard range and was able to go three for three on the 6" steel knock downs they have set up. Man I really love the BDC reticle on the scope it was right on. IMG_20140101_165725_658.jpg
     
  2. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Nice shootin Certified!
     
    Certified106 likes this.
  3. mdavlee

    mdavlee

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    Messages:
    4,380
    Likes Received:
    10,479
    That's good shooting there.
     
    Certified106 likes this.
  4. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Thanks guys! I have been working on my longer range shooting lately even got an hour lesson from one of the guys at the gun club a few weeks ago.

    Here is my 100 yard target with my AR15........I'm not real happy with it or I should say I don't know if I should be happy with it. This was the first time I had this gun out with a scope on it as I was using magpul flip Ups before this. This target was shot with roughly a 1 second pause (long enough to get the sight pic back) between shots. I was using federal green tip 5.56 ammo. I have never really tried to shoot an AR for accuracy before today but it seemed like it wasn't as accurate as maybe I expected it to be? Out of a 5 shot group (not this target) I would have maybe 2 touching holes but it seemed like it was only holding a 2.5" group at 100 yards when shooting 5 round groups slowly. When I took it to the 300 yard range I had about about 95% of my 30 rounds hit a 12"x16" steel plate. I think I may need to try som more accurate ammo or experiment to find out what round it likes. Anyone have any pointers or suggestions

    IMG_20140101_180408_469.jpg
     
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
    Gasifier likes this.
  5. mdavlee

    mdavlee

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    Messages:
    4,380
    Likes Received:
    10,479
    Well the ammo is probably not going to shoot more than about 2 moa for you on that. I handload for my Ar with 69 grain sierra match kings and noslers.
     
  6. mdavlee

    mdavlee

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    Messages:
    4,380
    Likes Received:
    10,479
    What twist is your barrel? If it's 1:8 or 1:7 you should be able to go up to 77 grain match ammo no problem.
     
  7. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    This was out of a Windham AR. If I can be nosy what are you shooting and do you notice a big difference on the handloads accuracy compared to factory ammo!
     
  8. mdavlee

    mdavlee

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    Messages:
    4,380
    Likes Received:
    10,479
    PSA upper with 1:7 twist barrel. My rifle doesn't like the load I've got as good as the bushmaster my friend has. It will hold a 4-5" group at 400 yards with the 69 match kings in front of 25 grains of varget loaded to normal mag length.
     
    MasterMech and Certified106 like this.
  9. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
  10. mdavlee

    mdavlee

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    Messages:
    4,380
    Likes Received:
    10,479
    It should work with 69 grain. With most factory ammo it was hard to get a 1" group at 100.
     
    Certified106 likes this.
  11. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Great info I really appreciate it. This is my first AR even though I have had it well over a year now. Up to this point with flip up sights on it I never really paid that much attention to the groups as I figured it was mostly shooter error anyways. :whistle:

    I really don't think I will shoot this gun much at 300 yards but it sure is fun to get as accurate with it as I can. Maybe one of these days I will build one for accuracy and just throw a red dot on this one and call it good. Up until that point though I'm going to have fun with it as I really do like it quite a bit! I was having no trouble busting water jugs at 200 yards with it on the first shot.
     
    mdavlee likes this.
  12. mdavlee

    mdavlee

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    Messages:
    4,380
    Likes Received:
    10,479
    I had a red dot on mine for a little while and no problem out to 400 yards with it. The dot does get a little big though. I want to get a 1-4 or 1-6 power for it. I've got a 20 power SWFA on it right now. You can get a load or match ammo to shoot pretty good in it I'm sure. It will take a bit of trial and error though.
     
  13. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    This is the first post I've read where I have been lost in the tech jargon. :confused: :thumbs:
     
    mdavlee likes this.
  14. mdavlee

    mdavlee

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    Messages:
    4,380
    Likes Received:
    10,479
    PSA is palmetto state armory.
     
  15. ironpony

    ironpony

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,747
    Likes Received:
    20,795
    Location:
    Mid Ohio
    hope this is not out of line, but I would consider a 2.5 inch group a kill.
    Myself I was a nationally ranked and sponsored pistol shooter.
    Can not shoot anymore, used to wear contacts to shoot. decided to get them lasered one winter, now 20/20.
    changed my sightline can not hit anything now, have not shot since.
     
  16. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    One of my favorite rifles is the Rem 700 (BDL for me please;)) in a .270 or 25-06 calibers.

    For 200-300 yards, that good shotting.
     
    Certified106 likes this.
  17. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    The late and great Jack O'Connor hunted around the world and was known as Mr. 270. He took virtually all types of game and was considered a master in developing reload combos for the .270. Always was a favorite for me as well. Have shot a pile of deer over the years with it.
     
    Certified106, mdavlee and will711 like this.
  18. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    That's what mine is, a Remingto 700 BDL .270. Nothing fancy at all, full Black synthetic stock with a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40 scope on it. I had a cheap scope on it but it kept loosing it's zero so I said screw it and bought weaver rings and the Nikon. Definitely don't regret it.
     
    rottiman and mdavlee like this.
  19. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Man so sorry to hear about the vision issues. I love shooting so much that would be a hard one for me to deal with.
     
    mdavlee likes this.
  20. ironpony

    ironpony

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,747
    Likes Received:
    20,795
    Location:
    Mid Ohio
    Have not shot in 13 years, perfect 20/20 vision though........