In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Englander Igniter not getting hot at tip. Would you replace it?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by don2222, Nov 15, 2015.

  1. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Hello
    25-pdvc
    Mfd = 08/08

    Stove is hard starting but runs fine.
    Replace Igniter? Oui? Non?
    See pics
     

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    wildwest likes this.
  2. CleanFire

    CleanFire

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2015
    Messages:
    2,997
    Likes Received:
    16,525
    Location:
    .
    Oui - that igniter doesn't owe the stove anything..

    Have a 25-PDVC sitting in the workshop, has a bad igniter, co-worker has (2) 25-PDV stoves, both have bad igniters.. Seems to be a common failure part.
     
  3. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Hello
    Still taking 12-15 mins to fire up. I checked the air hole in the bottom of the igniter tube and it was clear. I also removed the drill cap on top of the igniter tube for more air flow.
    Then I pulled the burn pot and hammered out the top ridge so it was flat. The original OEM burn pot gasket was mostly desintergrated so I cut a new one.
    Also made sure the igniter tip was centered in the igniter tube and pulled back a bit.
    See pics
    Then I found the lower 3 buttons were set for 4-4-4 ! ! ! So I changed them to 4-6-1 and shut the stove down.
    Now we will see how long it takes to fire.
     

    Attached Files:

  4. CleanFire

    CleanFire

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2015
    Messages:
    2,997
    Likes Received:
    16,525
    Location:
    .
    Cool - nice work there Don. :yes:

    Interested to read if the gasket, igniter mod, and settings change fixed it ..

    If you don't mind me asking: what type / brand of gasket material did you cut / use for the burn pot?

    Thanks,
    Cleanfire
     
  5. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Hello

    After changing the 3 buttons to 4-6-1 the stove went from pressing the ON button to a FLAME in 6 Minutes flat! ! !

    For the Burn pot gasket, I use 1/8" white Lytherm good for 1,000 degs. Same as OEM but stays together a little better. :)
     
  6. CleanFire

    CleanFire

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2015
    Messages:
    2,997
    Likes Received:
    16,525
    Location:
    .
    Well that's spiffy, and fast!

    So you just left this piece off then?
     
  7. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Yes I did.
    So if the bottom hole gets blocked, it will still work.
     

    Attached Files:

  8. CleanFire

    CleanFire

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2015
    Messages:
    2,997
    Likes Received:
    16,525
    Location:
    .
    Gotchya.

    Don, you sell the gasket material used to make the burn pot gasket, correct?

    Edit: I'll PM you.
     
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  9. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Correct
     
    CleanFire likes this.