For sale (or trade): my 28" milling setup. I'm thinking about upgrading to a lightweight bar, in .063 gauge. So if there's a member here who could use a 28" Stihl milling setup to get started, I think I'd make the leap. 28" Stihl Rollomatic ES 3003 mount 3/8 .050 bar. Missing paint where I've mounted the mill and sharpener. The rails have just been dressed with the pferd tool, sprocket turns easy, still looks decent. SOLD: I have 3 oilomatic chains, Very Sharp, filed to 10 degrees, rakers at .035 for milling - 2 skip, 50-60% life, 1 full comp, 60-70%. I keep my chains clean and oiled. I also have 1 "regular" chain - 33RS, 30 degrees, .025 rakers, almost brand new. I think I've only touched it up one time.
Guess its probably time to think about that huh? I figure there's easily 60% life left in all of it, so around 60% of new price would be fair I think. Figure $60 on the bar, $20/ea on the 4 chains. $140 + actual shipping. That's the FHC package deal price: I'd probably ask a little more if I was trying to sell it elsewhere, or if I was going to separate it. Not really interested in doing either right now though.
Hmm... Let me think about that over the weekend... Would anybody else be interested in just the bar + 1 regular chain?
Honestly, I don't have anything else to compare them to. I've always used full chisel that I sharpened myself, I've never used any sort of ripping chain that you buy that way. My results have been getting better and better each time. I usually get around 3 or 4 8' long cuts before they need touched up. I didn't like the rakers at the standard .025; though I don't know if that's still "standard" for ripping chain. If I set them to .035-.040, it obviously cuts faster, but the chain seems to stay cleaner and sharper just a little bit longer, maybe 1 more cut. Plus I start to get "chips" instead of dust, and the 661 still has plenty of power to pull it.