In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Computer monitors

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Backwoods Savage, Oct 5, 2015.

  1. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    49,000
    Likes Received:
    312,321
    Location:
    Central MI
    In the market for a new one but not sure what to get. Suggestions?

    Currently have a HP w2338h. 23" diagonal. Have liked it a lot except it started making a high pitched humming and it is getting worse so that I'm actually wearing hearing protection while sitting in front of it (same as I use when running the saw).

    I want about the same size monitor. Not too high priced but not a cheapo either. All I need is to plug it in and use it. No speakers required not anything else I'm aware of but I'm not up to date on new monitors.

    Have they changed anything, like having to have different connectors? Anything else? I hate to buy something then find out I have to buy something else to make it work.

    I'm not into gaming. Use computer mostly for the forum, weather, news, excel, word, etc.

    I'm open to suggestions on what to buy, where to buy and what sort of price.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  2. bassJAM

    bassJAM

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2014
    Messages:
    1,999
    Likes Received:
    6,021
    Location:
    Cincinnati, OH
    I've bought most of my electronics from either Amazon or Newegg in the past. Both places have plenty of reviews to go through to help select something you'll be happy with.

    Most monitors should still have the old VGA connector as well as HDMI. For awhile they were putting DVI connections on monitors, but HDMI seems to have won out for digital connections. If your computer has DVI output, you can get a DVI-HDMI adapter.


    Also did a quick search about humming, your model was the first to pop up! Seems adjusting the brightness helped with the buzzing for a lot of folks.

    Buzzing/humming noise from Hp w2338 LCD monitor - HP Support Forum - 89555
     
  3. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,675
    Likes Received:
    144,756
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  4. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,290
    Likes Received:
    66,717
    Location:
    IN
    I have an Acer 24" LED at work that I'm in love with.
     
    Backwoods Savage and wildwest like this.
  5. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,952
    Likes Received:
    52,512
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    Haven't bought anything for several years so can't suggest certain model but I have got some pretty good pricing and had good luck with refurbished stuff from Staples.com
     
    Backwoods Savage and wildwest like this.
  6. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,675
    Likes Received:
    144,756
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    There are a 20" and a 24" on Staples daily deals page.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  7. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    I really like the LED backlight, HD units. The color and the definition is much easier on my eyes than the older screens. The sharper the contrast, the easier it is to view. I would also ask you to "consider" two screens. very easy to set up. I have two screens now and wouldn't go back to a single screen. I can keep several things open and in view at once. So if I am on this forum and want to look something else up, I can do it on the second screen, then go back to the forum with whatever I have found. I sometimes have the TV going on the left, and the forum on the right. Sometimes have 4 programs running at once. I first learned to do this when I was working for the hospital from my home station.
     
    Backwoods Savage and wildwest like this.
  8. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,551
    Likes Received:
    141,588
    Location:
    US
    The CRT is getting heavy, using it as a laptop screen is slightly inconvenient.....
     
    Backwoods Savage and wildwest like this.
  9. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,675
    Likes Received:
    144,756
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
  10. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    49,000
    Likes Received:
    312,321
    Location:
    Central MI
    Not yet but haven't given up on looking around.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  11. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Amazon, think LED and bigger is better. Prices are way better than ever before. I say LED because the color is richer, the definition is the sharpest I've seen and LED uses very little power.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  12. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    49,000
    Likes Received:
    312,321
    Location:
    Central MI
    I agree Larry. I have a 23" now and love it. Would hate to go back to a smaller screen. One more reason I don't have a laptop.