In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Garage doors do be insulated matey GARRR!

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Pallet Pete, Dec 26, 2013.

  1. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Ok well today my niece and possibly future brother in law came over and helped install insulation in the garage doors. They have no power still so in an effort to keep warm they popped in and I kept them warm. :rofl: :lol:

    First the pic without insulation.

    image.jpg

    The insulation is R5 closed cell foam and spray expanding foam. The closed cell was cut to slide into the doors tightly then I sprayed expanding foam around it ( thanks for the tip Jack ) and it sealed up very tightly.

    image.jpg
    image.jpg

    It is uglier than sin but boy does it stay warm. Before this the garage would keep around 20f and het up to the 30 range with the torpedo cranked on a 20lb tank. Now it gets to 52 fast and I can run it half and an hour later it's still 52F Major improvement. If I shut the heater off an hour later it's still 40f!

    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    I still have the windows, side door and above the doors to do yet so it will improve even more after that. More pics tomorrow.
     
    Gasifier, raybonz, gbreda and 5 others like this.
  2. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    Too bad no stove in that garage. Would be very warm.
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  3. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    There is one in there but it isn't hooked up right now and I am not sure it will be yet. I've gone through almighty ---- to get approved for one and it probably won't happen. Right now I'm looking at a pellet stove that could run 24/7 if needed for keeping it dry inside because it's so wet this time of year. Mainly on the weekends.
     
    mdavlee likes this.
  4. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    I figured it was probably not allowed with the combustibles stored in a garage. With people getting wood so cheaply, you could burn all you wanted with little cost.
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  5. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Belive me if I could there would be a blaze king in there. :rofl: :lol:
     
  6. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    The funny thing is after it's all sealed up I could probably heat it with a match!
     
  7. Paul bunion

    Paul bunion

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,396
    Likes Received:
    13,524
    Location:
    NJ
    We redid our doors several years ago and it made a big difference. Just with stock new doors over leaky wooden ones with half rotten bottom panels. Your house will also be warmer with this effort. (Assuming you have an attached garage). The other benefit that you will get is the heat off your cars will stay. They will be warmer in the morning.
     
    gbreda, mdavlee and Pallet Pete like this.
  8. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    No it is detached about 60ft from the house. The steel doors are just thin sheet metal so this insulation is almost like shutting the freezer door.
     
    mdavlee likes this.
  9. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Show how effective a little insulation can be :)
    For heat & cold
     
    papadave, mdavlee and Pallet Pete like this.
  10. fox9988

    fox9988

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,710
    Likes Received:
    8,287
    Location:
    NW Arkansas 72717
    A friend has a shop with 2-12x12 doors. I have suggested many times that he insulate them like this^ with foam/spray foam. He is hard-headed, just throws another load in the stove. Looks like it turned out nice.
     
    mdavlee and Pallet Pete like this.
  11. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    PS:
    Why do you have a life boat in the ceiling of the garage ?
    You live down stream of a dam ?
    Water gets high enough, you plan is to
    Chain saw a hole thru the gable end of the roof for launching :) LOL
     
    papadave, mdavlee and Pallet Pete like this.
  12. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Actually we have a kayak and a canoe because she likes to kayak and I fish in the canoe. Part of that survival plan lol.
     
    mdavlee likes this.
  13. mdavlee

    mdavlee

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    Messages:
    4,380
    Likes Received:
    10,479
    I insulated mine with regular foam insulation and wired it tight against the door. Made about 10° difference in the garage section of the house. It's a split foyer with no heat into it unless you leave the door open downstairs. We were storing candy and stuff down there last year and now it's almost too warm for that. It will maintain 55-60° now instead of 45-50°. It took me a few hours to put it all in. I thought about the foam panel route but this was higher R value. I think if I went over the outside and slid cardboard or something like that over it to hold it tighter may improve it a little more.
     
  14. ironpony

    ironpony

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,745
    Likes Received:
    20,772
    Location:
    Mid Ohio
    not to be negative, my FIL did this and the condensation between the foam and steel rusted the door out after several years.
    keep an eye on it
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  15. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    That's good to know!
     
  16. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Hello

    Building a raised wood pellet stove hearth for the garage. The stove will be in the back right corner. Unfortunately this is where any water or snow melting runs right too! So the stove must be elevated to prevent the bottom from rusting out!

    Therefore, the materials should not rot easily. So far I used 2x6 pressure treated lumber and I just got some PVC board to trim it out. Should I show the PVC board smooth or ruff side? See pics.
    I put the ruff side out.

    I had the wood lying around and the permabase was $10.00 but the PVC board is expensive!

    Yes, I do not put cars in it anymore so technically it will be fine. I need the heat for drying the paint on stoves.

    Simple 2x6 hearth with PVC board for trim around 3/4" plywood topped with cement board and porcelin tiles.

    Remember to Back Butter those tiles for a good sticken!
    Boy, I just found this! I never new I needed a Back Butter Buddy!
    https://www.flooringsupplyshop.com/back-butter-buddy-2181.html

    see more pics
    Well the messy grouting is done! Looks dark gray but will be much lighter when it dries.
     

    Attached Files:

    Woodwidow, Pallet Pete and raybonz like this.
  17. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Hello

    Here is the finished pic
     

    Attached Files:

    Woodwidow, Gasifier and Pallet Pete like this.
  18. amateur cutter

    amateur cutter

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    5,997
    Likes Received:
    48,771
    Location:
    Gun Lake MI
    That turned out nicely, well done!
     
    firecracker_77 and Pallet Pete like this.
  19. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Good work on both of those projects gentlemen.
     
  20. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Not all garage doors need insulation, my brand new Intelicore Foam garage door is a Clopay R18.4 Mate!

    [​IMG]

    Here is the secret to the Intelicore Foam (A nice made up term! LOL) There is a strip of Silicone in the middle of the door that provides a Thermal Break! Mike Do it Right (Holmes on Homes show) would luv this!

    That is what boosts the foam to the whopping R18.4 in a 2" Thick Steel Foam insulated door! ! !

    See pic below with yellow arrows. I bet the inside of the door will not be cold in the winter!
    [​IMG]