In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tree Felling Advice Needed.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Jack Straw, Dec 26, 2013.

  1. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    My tree cutting experience would be best described as advanced novice. I have no problem knowing which way a tree that is leaning is going to fall when I cut it. My problem is cutting a "plumb" tree with a round crown. I cannot begin to tell which way is best to fall a straight tree. What should I be looking for?
    Thanks!
     
  2. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Hard to give advice with out standing there , but
    a picture helps.
    Possible to do a severe pruning, then take it down ?
     
  3. KaptJaq

    KaptJaq

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2013
    Messages:
    721
    Likes Received:
    3,567
    Location:
    Long Island, NY
    Pictures would help.

    Here are a couple of videos to watch to help you plan:





    I have been known to trim the crown on one side to put the tree off-balance in my favor then do a proper notch & hinge. Tight areas I am not adverse to guide lines.

    KaptJaq
     
  4. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    Today, I was looking at a Hickory tree I want to cut down. I can try to take pictures tomorrow, but I'm not sure that will help. I did find a hickory that is leaning and I know which way that one will fall. I like to have close to a cord of Hickory for the cold winter nights. Most of the time if I can't tell which way a tree will go I pass on it.
     
    mdavlee likes this.
  5. fox9988

    fox9988

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,710
    Likes Received:
    8,287
    Location:
    NW Arkansas 72717
    A tree will not fall against it center of gravity without an outside acting force (obviously).
    So: Change the center of gravity (limbing) or apply force- wedges, ropes, etc.

    Determining exactly how much force is needed is a learned skill that almost no one is going to always get right.
    Solution: Overkill (pun intended) the needed force.:tree:
     
    thistle, mdavlee, rdust and 1 other person like this.
  6. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Some wedges. Even some wind will help.
     
    thistle, rdust and Jack Straw like this.
  7. rdust

    rdust

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2013
    Messages:
    1,195
    Likes Received:
    5,679
    Location:
    SE, Michigan
    Cutting a tree with no lean and an even top sounds like my type of tree! It's gonna go exactly where my notch tells it to go, a wedge to help it along is nice insurance.
     
  8. rdust

    rdust

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2013
    Messages:
    1,195
    Likes Received:
    5,679
    Location:
    SE, Michigan
    I helped my brother with a big ash a few years ago. As he was doing the back cut I noticed the tree starting to fall back and I made him stop. We were freaking out since it was gonna take out power lines if it fell back. As we were scrambling for a rope a nice puff of wind came out of the west and put the tree exactly where we planned on it going. I had left my wedges at home, I should've cut one out of a piece of wood before he starting cutting and avoided all the drama. :)
     
  9. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    For certain luck was with you that day rdust. That had to make the ticker beat a bit faster.
     
  10. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    Not to mention the "0" ring tightening up................About 35 years ago I decided to drop 2 deceased elm on the corner of my back yard. #1 went flawlessly and landed on the dime. #2 was bolt upright. Smart as I was, not a wedge was to be found. I notched it and then proceeded to back-cut when a gust of wind (totally windless to this point) decided to blow it back and pinch the saw. I shut the saw off and thought I might go look for a rope,(HA,Ha,Ha). got half way across the yard and heard 1 crack then a 2nd and away she went completely backwards from my intended destination. Problem was it took out the right front corner of my neighbors 45,000 gallon above ground pool. Fortunately there was no water in it as he had ripped the liner the winter before. On top of it all, he had not been able to get a liner for it as the company was out of business, and had planned to take it down anyway. Point of the excercise is never take anything for granted. That little episode has stuck with me for all these years.............
     
    fox9988 likes this.
  11. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Mouse.gif OMG! Talk about pucker power!
     
  12. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    Is this a situation where cutting and setting some wedges then finishing it with a plunge cut would work?