Been going 60-80 hrs a week for a while, including week-ends. It really kills your sense of humor. But this was fun.. Started off with of group of us sighting in our hunting rifles. You know the drill, shoot 3 and let the barrel cool. In the mean time, shoot what'cha brought. I shot the G-19 with a bi-pod thing, didn't work worth a damm @ 200 yrds. It was only funner than free-hand, so I ............ Pulled out the M-92. This is a Yugo AK-47 pistol with a 10" barrel. I have a red dot sight on it, and a SB47 arm brace. It's heavy. It's clunky. It's also a blast to shoot! Everyone had a magazine. Arm in the brace, arm out, from the hip,- total fun. And then I propped up a sandbag and got serious. Aimpoint was a 3'x3' plate/gong- 512 yrds. After a couple of windage shots, yup! I was smacking the gong. Boom-...ting. Boom....ting.(laughs) Boom...ting (more laughs) Boom...ting- don't recall much more, I was in the zone. I finished the mag. on the gong, 8 misses. (28 rnds.) They really found that funny, as did I. We laughed about that dumb gun doing that. It was cool.
I'd love to get a gong like that for long range shooting. Unfortunately the furthest I can get without joining a club is 240 yards at my parents, and that's only in the fall/winter after harvest and before crops are planted in the spring.
Yeah, this is a private club. I'll join after the first of the year but it's an hour drive from my place- but worth it. They have targets over 1100 yrds. I miss longer range shooting. My local ranges max out @ 100 yrds. -had one of the guys who was there stop in the shop today. We were both giggling when he left. He smacked the gong also.
Sounds like fun BK. My laughter tonight? My other half tested his deer rifle tonight. Yep, still works. I guess it was 300 yds. Cool thing is he actually wore ear protection. (he had to wear my purple muffs to be a good model for the lil one)
I probably should just join one. There's a nice club 3/4 mile from me as the crow files, and about a 4 mile drive. I can hear shooting going on pretty much any time I'm outside in daylight. They have a 500 and 600 yard range, but you have to take a safety course and "qualify" to use those. If I ever get into shooting rifles more I might look into it, but for now 95% of my shooting consists of handguns and .22's, and I built a decent range at my place where I can easily go back to 50 yards.
Looks like you have a future gift already lined up. I really liked the electronic muffs that allowed you "normal" hearing but automatically shut out gunfire. They are an added safety measure so the shooter knows what's going on around them. For hunting muffs are generally not required. For everything else you should make it a law (hint hint) Tinnitus sucks.