In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Computer Bugs

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by savemoney, Oct 7, 2015.

  1. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    While on IE this evening, I got hit with a computer bug. It locked the screen up trying to force me to it the ok which would have launched its mischief.
    I opened task manager and and shut down IE which was the only way to get out of it short of a forced shut down. Darn Windows IE is so sucky. I think I'll change my default search engine to Google.
    upload_2015-10-7_20-25-14.png
     
    wildwest likes this.
  2. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Pretty sure that's some adware, do not call that number.
     
    wildwest and savemoney like this.
  3. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Also "crash your data" is not something a programmer would say, because it doesn't make sense.
     
  4. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    you are right, I just don't know how it got through the firewalls, and other protections I have and then freeze the screen up.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  5. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    What website were you on Larry?
     
    wildwest likes this.
  6. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    upload_2015-10-7_20-49-38.png
     
    wildwest likes this.
  7. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Could you copy and paste the url here for me. I want to see if it's something on your computer or just a site causing the alert.
     
    wildwest, Chvymn99 and papadave like this.
  8. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    I am at a loss Adam, the page with the warning didn't show a URL when I did a screen print and copied that page, all there was on it was that thing I sent. There was no place to close the page. That is why I went to task manager and closed all IE opened sites.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  9. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    I think you came across a site that is trying to play you for a fool.
     
    savemoney and wildwest like this.
  10. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,676
    Likes Received:
    144,757
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
  11. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,166
    Likes Received:
    163,604
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    I've nailed a number of CL scammers and PITA telemarketers by googling phone #s. And one by googling the pic that was posted...:)
     
    wildwest and savemoney like this.
  12. bushpilot

    bushpilot

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2015
    Messages:
    3,240
    Likes Received:
    14,366
    Location:
    Eastern Washington
    Bad grammar = hoax, malware, scam, whatever. Do what you need to get rid of it, and don't contact them.

    Greg
     
    wildwest, brenndatomu and savemoney like this.
  13. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Yes, they are trying, you are right there.
    What I don't understand is how they get into the computer to pop up in the first place. At least this old fool knew enough not to act on it. I don't open strange emails etc. I can see someone having their computer frozen and not know to open the task manager etc. I don't save cookies and hx. I also don't know who to report this to.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  14. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,166
    Likes Received:
    163,604
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Who ya gonna call? (to the tune of ghostbusters) Grizzly Adam ! :D
     
    wildwest and savemoney like this.
  15. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    I would assumed you would report them to whoever you report any scam to.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  16. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    I have reported them to banks, to commercial sites that were misrepresented but this site only's ID was a telephone number, so I went to a site that list malicious numbers and reported it there.
     
    milleo, brenndatomu and wildwest like this.