In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tree ID

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by NYCountry, Oct 4, 2015.

  1. NYCountry

    NYCountry

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2014
    Messages:
    2,687
    Likes Received:
    11,979
    Location:
    Mohegan Lake NY
    What kind of tree is this
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,332
    Location:
    Central PA
    Any pics of the trunk? Looks like some kind of fruit tree leaf to me, at first glance...
     
    concretegrazer and Chvymn99 like this.
  3. Steve

    Steve

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    355
    Likes Received:
    1,013
    Location:
    Stouffville, ON
    Do the leaves alternate on the stem or are they random? If they are random I'll guess Hackberry or Dwarf Hackeberry
     
  4. NYCountry

    NYCountry

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2014
    Messages:
    2,687
    Likes Received:
    11,979
    Location:
    Mohegan Lake NY
    I didn't cut it down, wanted to know before I did
     
  5. NYCountry

    NYCountry

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2014
    Messages:
    2,687
    Likes Received:
    11,979
    Location:
    Mohegan Lake NY
    It's random, is Hackberry any good for firewood
     
  6. Steve

    Steve

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    355
    Likes Received:
    1,013
    Location:
    Stouffville, ON
    Mediocre, a little better than soft maple. Lotsa crotches (most are yardbirds). Wood is nice for projects if you have the patience and space to mill it.

    *edit* A quick search on the interweb give Hackberry a range from 19.5 to 21.2 million BTU'S/full cord.
     
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  7. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    Looks like Black gum
     
  8. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,332
    Location:
    Central PA
    Does "kinda" resemble black gum....
    Doubt that it's hackberry, given his geographic location.
     
  9. Steve

    Steve

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    355
    Likes Received:
    1,013
    Location:
    Stouffville, ON
    "With a range stretching from parts of Canada all the way to the southeastern United States, it dots cities, towns and rural areas everywhere (but is often considered “what you find when looking for something else.”)" From http://caseytrees.org/blog/tree-of-the-month-hackberry/

    Lots of Hackberry here in my town
     
  10. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    The leaves have the shine and the rust spot. It's way past season for it to have fruit up that way I'd think
     
    Scotty Overkill likes this.
  11. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,332
    Location:
    Central PA
    Hmmmm..you may be right, buddy...

    I've yet to run into any in my years of tree killing....
     
  12. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    Hackberry has toothed leaves right? and the leaves are usually broader at the base.
     
  13. Paul bunion

    Paul bunion

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,396
    Likes Received:
    13,524
    Location:
    NJ
    Hackberry has a unmistakeable warty corky bark. NYCountry and I are about 20 miles apart. I think I have seen it once. Not to say it isn't one but you'll need to look pretty hard to find one.
     
    Steve and Norky like this.
  14. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,479
    Likes Received:
    113,742
    Location:
    KC Metro
    Here's the hackberry tree leaves...

    But FYI Hackberry is good firewood.... Dries fast and lights fast. Not the best, won't leave you cold either...
     

    Attached Files:

    Norky and concretegrazer like this.
  15. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    Attached is a pic of Shagbark Hickory leaves, they look similar.

    image.jpeg
     
    Chvymn99 likes this.
  16. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    Hickory is a compound leaf structure though Jack
     
    Jack Straw likes this.
  17. Steve

    Steve

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    355
    Likes Received:
    1,013
    Location:
    Stouffville, ON
    Actually, looking at
    Google's image search on hackberry leaves, it appears that there are both toothed and untoothed, but most are toothed.

    It's funny Scotty, I had to dig hard into my "Field guide to eastern trees" to id the tree that was 20' from the corner of my house at my neighbour's before I cut it down. But once I got a good idea of what it looked like, I saw them everywhere; 4 more on my street, one at our church, dozens in our local neighborhood. Go figure.
     
    Scotty Overkill likes this.