In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Well this one made a sound...

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Shawn Curry, Sep 19, 2015.

  1. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    I guess ma nature couldn't wait for fall firewood cutting season either! :hair: She kicked it off with a thunderous bang about an hour ago. This one definitely made a sound. From the direction it came from, I was hoping it was the double trunk maple snag, but that's still there. It was a nearby red maple, around 28" at the stump. It still had leaves but it looks like it was really punky at the stump. I went back there and got a few pics after the winds calmed down - this is why I don't like to play in the woods when it's windy!

    IMG_3678.JPG IMG_3676.JPG IMG_3673.JPG IMG_3674.JPG IMG_3677.JPG
     
    mdavlee, mike bayerl, Loon and 20 others like this.
  2. ChuckinMichigan

    ChuckinMichigan Banned

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2015
    Messages:
    465
    Likes Received:
    1,000
    Location:
    Southeastern Michigan
    Just be glad you weren't standing under it when it went down. :eek:
     
  3. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
  4. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Took a walk down the path yesterday and same old, same old. Took the walk this morning and noticed a Red branch about the size of my wrist off the path that was sticking out of the ground.
    It wasn't there yesterday. We had a little wind overnight. Yeah, stay outta the woods when it's windy.
    So Shawn, when's that one getting processed?
     
  5. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Well I already have some red maple on deck from the yard tree I had to have taken down a couple weeks ago. I wanted to find some more to go with it so I could fill my new pallet. I've got a few sawbucks to build here, but as soon as I have some time to do firewood, it'll be next on the chopping block.

    IMG_3602.JPG IMG_3605.JPG IMG_3482.JPG
     
    Loon, Horkn, Scotty Overkill and 15 others like this.
  6. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    At least it's on the ground and not hung up:whistle:
     
    Horkn, WVhunter and Shawn Curry like this.
  7. Erik B

    Erik B

    Joined:
    May 12, 2015
    Messages:
    5,649
    Likes Received:
    39,076
    Location:
    Western Wisconsin
    It seems around here I have trees coming down when there is no wind:hair:
    That is scarry
     
    Horkn and Shawn Curry like this.
  8. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    I got my chores done early so I could play in the woods a little bit this evening. Unfortunately it gets dark even earlier in the woods, so I only had about a half hour to play when I finally got out there. Only got maybe 1/2 of a face cord on this trip. But it looks like we're supposed to have nice firewood'n weather this weekend, and my schedule is wide open. Its time for some C(H)SS! :saw::tree::axe::stacke:!!

    image.jpg
     
  9. dusky

    dusky

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2015
    Messages:
    455
    Likes Received:
    2,595
    Location:
    Pittsburgh
    Yeah buddy! Weather is lookin gooder here too. :cool:
     
    Drvn4wood, Horkn and Shawn Curry like this.
  10. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,333
    Location:
    Central PA
    Love that red maple......I'm sure there'll be some good stuff in that tree, Shawn.

    We have four decent sized oaks to drop tomorrow at a hunting camp back in the mountain. Thankfully, the guys keeping all that wood. He just wants them down. Gotta climb and rig all four....

    Then I'll come home, process some of these huge oak rounds here, and then carve some pine pumpkins.
     
  11. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,950
    Likes Received:
    52,503
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    I just got out the carved pumpkin I made for my sweetheart last year after you were showing them on here. The cherry round I used was a little bit green so it has some cracks showing but still looks good.....Momma likes it so I'm gold still
     
  12. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    Shawn just caught your saw lineup sig - what happed to the big Husky? I guess your a Stihl man with sentimental ties to the echo:rofl: :lol:
     
    Drvn4wood and Shawn Curry like this.
  13. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    I traded with Randy for the ported 660. He was looking for a 385xp to build for a GTG. I decided I liked the inboard clutch and brake on the Stihls. Then I decided to get a couple more. :D

    image.jpg
     
    basod, Drvn4wood and Deacon like this.