I need to take a couple of branches off this tree, they are like 4-5 inches, the double one and the next one up on the left in the pic. Is now a good time? should I cut it close or leave a stub? if so how long?
Hardwoods should be trimmed/pruned only for need, not aesthetics in February or near so as the sap is down to minimize the trauma-it is an open wound solicitation for disease and insect infestation-choose wisely
Actually maple sap flows in February-March, but that is the best time to trim most trees - before the spring/summer growth.
yeah these branches have to go there hanging out way too far, too much weight on the ends, should have cut them last year but I did not, and they have grown this year so I'm thinking snow load this winter might just break them right off. They were touching the ground last winter with the ice on them
You make a series of cuts, the first two remove the limb and the last cut is flush to the trunk taking off the stump. If you try to do the flush cut first to remove the limb you may hurt the tree. Always make an undercut to avoid the limb stripping down and tearing bark off the trunk.
yes I know I have to undercut and all that to keep the bark from stripping off but, I didn't know about the branch collar and bark ridge
Make the bark collar cut with <2-3" of the limb left and good sharp chain all the weight off the cut makes it easier . Maples heal up pretty quick, I've pruned mine after the sap stopped flowing without issue.