In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Been watching this.....MS at it again

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by papadave, Sep 6, 2015.

  1. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Norky and Backwoods Savage like this.
  2. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    It will continue to get worse. Im not to tech savy, but can you uninstall and hide per the instructions on the site you linked?
     
    wildwest and Backwoods Savage like this.
  3. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    WS, to be honest, I don't really care.
    I know what I do on the internet isn't super secure, but this stuff goes against the grain for me.
    One word.......Linux. Sooooooo much easier to use now than even just a few years ago.
     
    Norky and My IS heats my home like this.
  4. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Can Linus operate on my desk top? Will it look just like it does on my smart phone or tablet? Can I run my Microsoft office with it?
     
  5. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    49,000
    Likes Received:
    312,335
    Location:
    Central MI
    But this begs the question: Is this hack only through Windows Explorer? If so then you are correct that it won't affect Linux. What about Firefox, etc.?
     
    wildwest likes this.
  6. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Has nothing to do with Explorer. It's MS Windows operating system updates. I would expect at some point, that no matter what you do as a "workaround" will be overridden by MS. You will be assimilated.
    Linux will run on a desktop or laptop. You can do almost anything in LibreOffice that you can do in MS Office, and it's no charge.
    THOUSANDS of software apps. No charge.
    Where's Grizzly Adam ? He could probably tell you more than I can. I think there are some others here that also use Linux of some kind.
     
  7. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    What smartphone or tablet has Linux on it? I know they're out there, but do you actually have one?
     
    wildwest likes this.
  8. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I know you can get pre-installed Linux from Dell and at least a couple other vendors.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  9. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    You can put Linux on a thumb drive and test it out before you install it, and then install from that same thumb drive. I like Linux mint.
     
    wildwest, papadave and HDRock like this.
  10. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    What is the file size?
     
    wildwest likes this.
  11. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Not sure about the thumb drive version. Never done it that way.
    I d/l then put on a DVD. Tell the machine to boot from that drive, then it'll just run from the DVD, until you tell it to install. Like Adam says, try it out that way.
    Latest version is about 1.5 GB.
    http://linuxmint.com/
     
    HDRock likes this.
  12. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    I like the thin drive method because I haven't had an io error while installing that way, and it's also a faster install. I keep some 4 GB drives around for such things-- even got one with windows 7 on it in case a customer needs an install. I never had anyone ask me to put 8 on there system.
     
    papadave and HDRock like this.
  13. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    I had to goggle it, but this is from the Wikipedia information, "Thanks to its dominance on smartphones, Android, which is built on top of the Linux kernel, has the largest installed base of all general-purpose operating systems. " It went on to say that it is dominant in large mainframe computers but is on 1.5% on desktops.
    I was trying to figure out what it would take to have the same thing or similar system that is on the phone and tables, to be on desktops. Just questioning. That way we can kiss Windows good by. I am not a Windows hater. I would like to be away from the system that is the target of hackers, and the windows intrusive behaviors itself. SmokeyTheBear has a system, but he knows computer script and is very familiar with digging into a system and ferreting out issues. I am not there. I can work with "canned" operating systems, but I can't write pathways.
     
    papadave likes this.
  14. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Just install Ubuntu or Mint (based on Ubuntu) and have at it. The OS does most of the work after you answer a few simple questions.
    I didn't associate Android with Linux, but yes, it's based on the Linux kernel.
    Another thing about Linux.....it installs in about 15 minutes with a fairly new computer, even from DVD. Never had an IO error when installing it.
    Many, many different distributions to try if you're into that.
    The Epson printer we have right now doesn't work quite right with Mint (or Ubuntu), but that's the biggest problem I have.
    .