In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

vent setup question for my new Quad

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by slvrblkk, Sep 6, 2015.

  1. slvrblkk

    slvrblkk

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    6,647
    Likes Received:
    29,535
    Location:
    Northampton, PA
    Ok....both of my previous Englander's had horizontal setup straight out the back of the stoves. Without getting into a complete reconfiguration of the thimble and vent I came up with two configurations that work BUT they both seem to have drawbacks.

    1 - Installed two 90's. This is the way I think I'm going to go but I'm a little afraid of the ash accumulating in the first bend. I do LBM every couple weeks so it might not be an issue....idk.

    2 - Installed a clean-out tee but now my oak is covered and I'd need to reconfigure somehow which is going to be hard because I welded the new oak pipe in yesterday. The other issue might be trying to get the cap sealed so it doesn't leak.

    I can't seem to get anything lined up with the current configuration just using 45's

    Any ideas? Also, I'm terminating this as a horizontal install. I won't be doing any vertical rise with this configuration do to all the elbows. The other thing is if I happen to not like the Quad, I'm going to re-install my EP.

    IMAG1082.jpg IMAG1083.jpg IMAG1073.jpg
     
    wildwest and ttdberg like this.
  2. imacman

    imacman

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    6,633
    Likes Received:
    27,528
    Location:
    Denver, NC
    Not sure it makes a lot of difference which one you use.....being so short plus the fact that you do the LBM often, I'd use the regular 90 out of the stove instead of the "T" (smoother airflow).

    BTW, have you given any thought to raising the stove? Just 3-4" might allow you to use (2) 45's instead of the 90's. = lower EVL.
     
  3. slvrblkk

    slvrblkk

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    6,647
    Likes Received:
    29,535
    Location:
    Northampton, PA
    Thanks Pete....I actually thought of that but didn't want to get into doing that this season....maybe next.....and the other thing is IF I don't like this for whatever reason then I wouldn't be able to use it for the EP.
     
  4. IHATEPROPANE

    IHATEPROPANE

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,678
    Likes Received:
    19,110
    With the amount you clean I don't see an issue.

    Like Pete said, since this is a test season, I would raise the stove using whatever I needed to to get it to match the EP.
     
    wildwest, ttdberg, will711 and 2 others like this.
  5. slvrblkk

    slvrblkk

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    6,647
    Likes Received:
    29,535
    Location:
    Northampton, PA
    I have two 45's and a 6" piece but no matter what I do I can't get them to line up correctly. It's close but then even if it lined up the stove is at a cocked angle in relation to the corner pad and looks weird....chit
     
    wildwest and ttdberg like this.
  6. IHATEPROPANE

    IHATEPROPANE

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,678
    Likes Received:
    19,110
    Drink a beer or two. It will straighten right out.
     
    jtakeman, wildwest, ttdberg and 2 others like this.
  7. slvrblkk

    slvrblkk

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    6,647
    Likes Received:
    29,535
    Location:
    Northampton, PA
    Great idea! :cheers:
     
    wildwest, ttdberg and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  8. imacman

    imacman

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    6,633
    Likes Received:
    27,528
    Location:
    Denver, NC
    But as IHP mentioned, since you're really just "testing" to see if you even want to keep it permanently, I wouldn't be too concerned about what it "looks" like.....I'd just want to find out how it burns first.
    :popcorn:
     
    wildwest, ttdberg, will711 and 2 others like this.
  9. slvrblkk

    slvrblkk

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    6,647
    Likes Received:
    29,535
    Location:
    Northampton, PA
    I have to answer to a higher power...if she no likey then>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :heidi: :rofl: :lol:
     
    jtakeman, wildwest, imacman and 4 others like this.
  10. smoke show

    smoke show

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,983
    Likes Received:
    13,948
    Location:
    Pittsfield, Wi
    A smaller version of Carl's spark bucket placed inside the house with the outlet hole cut right where you need it. :bug::pete::cheers:
     
    jtakeman, wildwest, 343amc and 5 others like this.
  11. slvrblkk

    slvrblkk

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    6,647
    Likes Received:
    29,535
    Location:
    Northampton, PA
    That dude was a freak!!!
     
    jtakeman, wildwest, eatonpcat and 3 others like this.
  12. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    It always works for me :whistle: :drunk:
     
    jtakeman, wildwest, ttdberg and 3 others like this.
  13. imacman

    imacman

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    6,633
    Likes Received:
    27,528
    Location:
    Denver, NC
    Well, I just meant during the initial test it phase. I don't want you to get :heidi:
     
  14. ttdberg

    ttdberg Pellet Pig

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2014
    Messages:
    3,596
    Likes Received:
    16,002
    Location:
    CT
    Steve I wouldn't lose sleep over the two 90s in the setup. My P43 goes into a tee, then up to a 90 that goes into the wall thimble, then behind the thimble is 6" that goes back about 2 feet into a tee then straight up 20 feet. This thing burns like a champ and throws heat like there's lava inside it. So will yours! As often as you clean it, you will not have any problems. Personally I would prefer to see a tee coming off your collar if you can negotiate it. What if the tee sits at a slight angle as opposed to straight up and down?
     
    jtakeman, wildwest and slvrblkk like this.
  15. slvrblkk

    slvrblkk

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    6,647
    Likes Received:
    29,535
    Location:
    Northampton, PA
    I you see in the pic it was already on a slight angle. I couldn't maneuver it anymore because the stove would be cockeyed sitting on the pad. I think I'm just going to roll with the two 90's for now and see how it goes. I'd still be under the 15 evl for my 3" vent. The other thing with the tee is the bottom cap would be very close to the floor. I turned the stove on to see what kind of airflow I had and it seem to be blowing like crazy. Once the door gasket gets here, hopefully Tuesday, I'm going to install the glass and fire it up and see how it goes.
     
  16. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,289
    Likes Received:
    58,565
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    Hmm...I as m drunk, but I will put some thought into this tomorrow, if I remember! Gonna get some more beer!
     
    DexterDay, imacman, jtakeman and 6 others like this.
  17. slvrblkk

    slvrblkk

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    6,647
    Likes Received:
    29,535
    Location:
    Northampton, PA
    You'll be doing your best thinking right about now :D
     
    imacman, will711, eatonpcat and 4 others like this.
  18. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,666
    Likes Received:
    144,672
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Could something like this work? We had one in our last home for wood stove, all 4 rings could be turned for an infinate amount of angles.

    http://clarrypelletstove.com/store/adjustable-flue-connector
     
    imacman and slvrblkk like this.
  19. slvrblkk

    slvrblkk

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    6,647
    Likes Received:
    29,535
    Location:
    Northampton, PA
    Thanks ww! The one 45 I have I can manipulate like that and still couldn't get the correct angle without the stove being cockeyed. If I had the stove angled correctly in the corner the vent just wouldn't line up and vice versa. If I keep the stove I might install a raised pad to eliminate one or both of the 90's like Pete was saying and use a 45 or two.
     
    imacman and eatonpcat like this.
  20. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    I wouldn't worry with the airflow of a quad. Especially if you vent horizontal. Your EVL isn't over yet. Plus your cleaning regimen is better than most!

    Looking forward to your thoughts on that 1200. I miss the heat out put mine had on low. I love my new Enerzone, but on low that quad still felt like the sun!!
     
    will711 and slvrblkk like this.