In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The one night I decide not to load it up for overnight....

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by bocefus78, Dec 20, 2013.

  1. bocefus78

    bocefus78

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Messages:
    3,694
    Likes Received:
    19,840
    Location:
    Indiana
    ...and the dayum nat gas furnace goes out! I was wasted tired from plowing snow for 2 straight days and fell asleep on the couch earlier than normal. Woke up to 59 degrees in the stove room....colder than that in my bedroom. Furnace should have kicked on at 65. Called the repair guy at 6am and loaded the Vista up to the gills. He got there at 12:30pm and it was 75 inside. It was in the teens outside. $79 dollars and a new igniter later, I was back in biz. That was my first "oh chit, what would I do without the woodstove moment." It felt good to be able to not worry about that furnace, my pipes, etc.

    In summary:
    Self reliance is good.
    Back-ups break too.
    That is all.
     
  2. fox9988

    fox9988

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,710
    Likes Received:
    8,287
    Location:
    NW Arkansas 72717
    You got off cheap!
     
    Pallet Pete, raybonz and papadave like this.
  3. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Igniter in our furnace downstate crapped out 3 times.
    I replaced all (my brother's an HVAC contractor) myself. Inexpensive part.
    Fox is right, you got off cheap.:thumbs:
    Usually, the service call is at least $65 bucks or more. Well, it used to be....not sure nowadays.
     
  4. raybonz

    raybonz Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    4,225
    Likes Received:
    9,758
    Location:
    Carver, Mass.
    Yup that was wicked cheap.. In Mass. they'd leave ya naked lol.. Pellet guys spend more than that and that's doing things themselves!
     
    papadave likes this.
  5. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    "Murphy' Law"
    Cheap repair for sure.
    Cost that to call the repairman here LOL :)
     
    papadave likes this.