I'm really Pee ed off at these unsolicited telemarketers' calling all hours of the day, but esp. at supper time. So mad that I changed phone services to one that allows for selective call blocking. My list is growing. I already have 15 numbers blocked. I am on that "do not call list" but I really can't tell it has done any good. At first I tried answering them, wanting to tell them off or to stop calling, but most of these are robo calls and are all automated. I had one that called over and over, when I answered it, click, that was all. I tried calling the number back but got something telling me it wasn't a valid number. One number was calling 4 times every evening. I am glad for the call block feature, but I am afraid that I will quickly reach my allowed limit of numbers. Ok, that is my rant today, thanks for listening.
I hear ya, I got a call the other day at 6:30 am from some third world refugee claiming there was a problem with my computer. He got an earful
I don't answer calls from blocked, private, or restricted numbers. Also, if I don't know the number, I don't answer. If it's important, they'll leave a message. Both of my wife's brothers have their numbers as private. Again, I don't answer. No problem calling them back if they leave a message. A lot of scammers are doing what you describe. My wife can't resist answering though. Our son used to answer, let them start in their spiel.....then put the phone down and walk away. Funny as heck, but tied up the line. Had to remind him of that. That was when we had dial-up too.
Sitting next to my phone is a Freon can attached to one of those boat emergency horns. One blast of that usually is incentive for them to put me on their chit list. Latest stunt being used is call id showing your own phone # on the display screen. Those, and as Papa Dave mentioned, the unknowns don't get answered
I'm so burned by them, I don't even want them ringing my phone. Good thing for them that I can't reach through the line.
Rant on brother. First it was home phones and now cell phones. If I don't recognize it, I don't answer it.
The way I understand the "do not call" list works is-you can sign up for it and the only ones who will still be able to call are the politicians....hmmmm-they must've forgot to include themselves!
politicians and charities are exempted. But anyone you do business with on the net can access and sell your information. When you click "I accept" it is all over. They say you gave permission for them and third parties to abuse you. But like most other regulations coming out of the beltway, it has no teeth. It is just window dressing.
I don't have a landline anymore and that is exactly what I do, seems like it works pretty good I only get that crap once in great awhile
We don't have a landline any longer, but the wife has an app on her phone that blocks most sales calls.
I've got some chick around here that's using my number to sign up for free crap from the gubment. So I get calls a few times a week about the disability social security I signed up for, or free job training, or free "quit smoking" clinics, and even a couple from temp agencies that tell me they've found me a job. It's been going on for 3 months, and I can't seem to track down whoever is doing it and tell them to stop! I know her name is Rebecca Scott. It all started with a dentist office that kept calling me to confirm an appointment that this Rebecca chick set up.
I'll try to remember tonight to ask her the name of it. She used to complain about the sales calls and I told her that there's probably an app for it and sure enough, she found one on google play. There are some numbers that still try to call her, daily.
I had that happen when I got a new cell phone. Only the ones calling me were trying to reach the person who had the number before me. I had an ex and a bill collector who were relentless. Ended up changing my number. I didn't know about the call blocking feature at that time. Odd that the cell phone provider didn't tell me about it when I called telling them of my problem.
Most definitely I tell my wife, if the thing reads, "Private caller," do not answer. As others have said, if it is important, they can leave a message.
In the last couple weeks those calls to my phone have increased to 5 times per day. Last year I would answer not knowing who it was and said "But I don't have a computer" and the telemarketing slowed down. Now its ridiculous! My caller id (when it works 1/2 the time) has revealed numbers from multiple states, regardless of the area code, ALL the numbers next 3 digits are 555. I do not pick them up anymore but still pizzes me off as the phone wakes lil one from naps and runs down my phone batteries.