In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Kayaking Excitement in the area.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by rottiman, Aug 31, 2015.

  1. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    Today marked the start of the "World Freestyle Kayak" championships here locally. Our scenic area is experiencing a explosion of visitors and competitors from around the world. The Ottawa River is apparently one of the top destinations for kayaking in North America and the venue is perfect to host this event. Good luck to the competitors and welcome to the visitors.
     
  2. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    Sounds like real deal rapids, I'll stick to the creeks with a few rock berms here and there;)
    I cringe enough everytime the yak drags a rock - GF chuckled as she broke in her girl today... she will see the gouges when we wash them down tomorrow
     
  3. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    Although I am not a yaker, I have spoken to a number who are and they say it is awesome water for the sport. I know that a lot of the sections have unique names attached to them. One I have heard is called "Great Bus Eater". I know that in the spring, that section of the river just roars with current.
     
    basod likes this.
  4. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX