I finally used the chipper today on some downed Pine and Cherry branches for this trail, going up it, the right side has a deep rut (10 inches) from the person who drove his truck up that trail before we owned it. I did a total of two loads but need more which I plan on doing during the week. After I get enough chips down, I'll be hauling loads of Pine needles for a top cover. I had to do a bit of running around to get enough branches for two loads.
The Pine needles take about two or three years before it turns to a nice dirt, the chips I'm not sure.
We put some down 2 years ago. The wood was chipped about 6 years ago. Today it is difficult to tell it was wood chips unless you look very close. We filled in a wet hole in the trail and it has worked nicely.
Nice work the woodlands! You deserve a cold one, or four, for all that work. Let me know when you get there. I need to rent a big chipper for a weekend and chip a crapload of stuff. Then use the tractor and see if I can get some use of it on my trails.
I raked up a bunch of splitter trash earlier this year and moved it to a low spot in the driveway. The grass is growing right up through it. Almost can't even tell It's there.
The trail I'm working on, the back ends of the sleds went off in some deep snow so before winter that side will be tipped in some.
We used cedar and rose bush chips under our ornamental cedars and it just eventually turns into dirt.
I worked in a different area today with the chipper, I took three more loads today to the same trail. I'm hoping I can get two loads of pine needles tomorrow to go on top of the chips.
Wow, ain't that the truth. It was only about 80 here today, but felt closer to 90. Tomorrow's supposed to actually be close to 90. Might be a tad cooler in the woods.
Geeze Dave. It is hotter up there than it is here. We did get to 77 yesterday. Looks like we'll top out at 79 today but the next 2 days forecast is for upper 80's. I do so hope they are wrong....
papadave , two loads of pine needles this afternoon. It will take another 10-20 loads to get it the way I want it, the bottom part (just dirt) needs a good eight loads. I should have the 10 loads done by the end of the day Friday.
I ran another two loads of pine needles back in this afternoon, I might bring the chipper back in this weekend so I can do the bottom with more chips.