In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Trail Work 2015

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by thewoodlands, Aug 29, 2015.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I finally used the chipper today on some downed Pine and Cherry branches for this trail, going up it, the right side has a deep rut (10 inches) from the person who drove his truck up that trail before we owned it.

    I did a total of two loads but need more which I plan on doing during the week. After I get enough chips down, I'll be hauling loads of Pine needles for a top cover.

    I had to do a bit of running around to get enough branches for two loads.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I'm curious how long it takes for that to break down and get mushy again.
     
    My IS heats my home likes this.
  3. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    The Pine needles take about two or three years before it turns to a nice dirt, the chips I'm not sure.
     
  4. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Nice work Woody! You make good use of what MN provides!
     
  5. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    We put some down 2 years ago. The wood was chipped about 6 years ago. Today it is difficult to tell it was wood chips unless you look very close. We filled in a wet hole in the trail and it has worked nicely.
     
  6. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Nice work the woodlands! You deserve a cold one, or four, for all that work. Let me know when you get there.

    I need to rent a big chipper for a weekend and chip a crapload of stuff. Then use the tractor and see if I can get some use of it on my trails.
     
    savemoney and papadave like this.
  7. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I raked up a bunch of splitter trash earlier this year and moved it to a low spot in the driveway. The grass is growing right up through it.
    Almost can't even tell It's there.
     
    Horkn, HDRock, Jack Straw and 3 others like this.
  8. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    The trail I'm working on, the back ends of the sleds went off in some deep snow so before winter that side will be tipped in some.
     
  9. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,514
    Likes Received:
    95,531
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    We used cedar and rose bush chips under our ornamental cedars and it just eventually turns into dirt.
     
  10. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I worked in a different area today with the chipper, I took three more loads today to the same trail.

    I'm hoping I can get two loads of pine needles tomorrow to go on top of the chips.
     

    Attached Files:

    Horkn, Gasifier, Deacon and 6 others like this.
  11. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Good job! Smells good too ill bet.
     
    Horkn and thewoodlands like this.
  12. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Yep, and quite a lot of work.
     
    Horkn and thewoodlands like this.
  13. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Nice work, work, work Woody!
    Nice pics too :thumbs:
     
    Horkn, thewoodlands and papadave like this.
  14. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Summers back in town for over a week, so getting some pine needles down this week will be a hot one.
     
  15. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Sweat equity :)
     
    Horkn, papadave and thewoodlands like this.
  16. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Wow, ain't that the truth. It was only about 80 here today, but felt closer to 90.
    Tomorrow's supposed to actually be close to 90. Might be a tad cooler in the woods.
     
    thewoodlands and HDRock like this.
  17. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Geeze Dave. It is hotter up there than it is here. We did get to 77 yesterday. Looks like we'll top out at 79 today but the next 2 days forecast is for upper 80's. I do so hope they are wrong....
     
    papadave likes this.
  18. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Yep, just a bit toasty.
    thewoodlands , didja get some more done today?
     
  19. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    papadave , two loads of pine needles this afternoon.

    It will take another 10-20 loads to get it the way I want it, the bottom part (just dirt) needs a good eight loads.

    I should have the 10 loads done by the end of the day Friday.
     

    Attached Files:

  20. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I ran another two loads of pine needles back in this afternoon, I might bring the chipper back in this weekend so I can do the bottom with more chips.
     

    Attached Files: