In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Chain slipped off and cut my leg

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by firecracker_77, Aug 23, 2015.

  1. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    accident.jpg

    Wasn't wearing chaps and my chain came off. Was over before I could even feel it. Cut my leg slightly and a few scrapes. Was lucky. Bleeding wasn't too bad. Did get a healthy truckload of ash. New helper springs kept the truck from sagging. What a difference.

    ash load.jpg
     
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  2. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,531
    Likes Received:
    95,618
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Ugh - now you know why you should be wearing chaps!!!!
     
  3. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    Yep. And they were in the truck at the time. Got a little lazy and had just started. I guess this is a lesson to always have PPE on. At least it was my leg and not my face or my arm.
     
  4. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,531
    Likes Received:
    95,618
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    And that you didn't lose a leg!!
     
  5. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    The chain just popped off completely and slapped my leg. I didn't cut into the leg with the chain on. That would not have been a pretty sight.
     
  6. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,680
    Likes Received:
    144,785
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Thrilled you are ok, got lucky!
     
    Woodwidow, Jack Straw, Stinny and 2 others like this.
  7. concretegrazer

    concretegrazer

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,429
    Likes Received:
    12,455
    Location:
    Southwest MO
    Glad it wasn't worse. Good looking load there.
     
  8. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Glad it wasn't worse for ya.
    Where you able to determine why the chain popped off, chain to loose, nuts not tight ?
     
    Woodwidow, unclefess and wildwest like this.
  9. shaggy wood dump hoarder

    shaggy wood dump hoarder

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2014
    Messages:
    868
    Likes Received:
    3,324
    Location:
    menomonie
    X2?
    Any idea of the cause? I always set my chains a little tight start my saw and rev a couple times before I even touch it to wood, shut saw off and double check chain tension, I've had to retighten a couple times. This still isn't bullet proof.
    Interested to hear what may have caused it! Glad you made out on the better end of possibilities!
     
    Eric VW, Woodwidow, HDRock and 3 others like this.
  10. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    I think chain too loose. Running a 25" bar...should have stopped and adjusted shorted after I started.
     
    Eric VW, Woodwidow, HDRock and 3 others like this.
  11. coal reaper

    coal reaper

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,138
    Likes Received:
    2,969
    Location:
    Nj
    dont forget your boots next time too!
     
  12. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    I was thinking the same thing. Footwear is very important. Just got too comfortable with the saw. We all do at some time, and we all benefit from being reminded to keep safety at the top of the check list.
     
    Eric VW, Woodwidow, unclefess and 3 others like this.
  13. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    Yeah...I know...definately too casual for the work involved. Boots, face shield, and chaps at a minimum.

    I like the tip to run the saw, and check for tightness periodically.

    Am happy with those helper springs though. A must have for anyone with a saggy truck. Makes it drive so much better loaded up.
     
    Eric VW, Woodwidow, unclefess and 2 others like this.
  14. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Could've been way worse, but your ok, chaps on next time, and a good load. Hate to hear of a chain busting and whipping the family jewels or a face shot...........
     
    Eric VW, Woodwidow and unclefess like this.