I was looking through some threads and got to wondering about something. What would you be most proud of...or happiest about? It can be anything. An accomplishment in the past, a way you handled some situation, a skill you learned, you name it. It doesn't have to earth shattering or world changing. It can just be something that as you look back at or as you do it now, it makes you smile. To be fair, since its a natural reaction, dads and moms don't just say "I'm proudest of my kids...." We all are. This should just be about you. It might be hard to say only one thing so say a couple if you want. Maybe its something you would like others to know about you that doesn't come up during normal conversation or maybe its something you want written in your tombstone, either way it would cool to hear what you are proud of.
I'm not a proud person when it comes to things that I've done, but I'm very proud of our son. He's served 2 tours in Iraq and survived his vehicle getting blown up the second tour. He's been through 2 police academies and is now a DC metro officer. He's accomplished more in his life than we ever dreamed he would.
Good thread. I'm going to have a hard time pointing to one thing....not because I'm ultra accomplished...just none jump out as way better than another. Almost seems like I need to do them based on phases in my life and what goals I had at the time. High school - school record holder and conference champ in high jump. College - 4.0 major GPA and full scholarship 20's - ? 30's - ? The last 2 are hard. Had some professional success but the older I get the less it means to me. If I had my own business I'd be proud of that...but I can't say the things I do working for corporate America makes me proud. Hopefully that will change in about 5 years. I guess now it has more to do with what I have learned to do than what I have done. I can now grow/kill/butcher/cook a meal for "free" better than most restaurants. I can build things with my own 2 hands that's better than you can buy in a store. I can fix what needs fixed (given enough YouTube videos). Not that long ago this would all be considered "normal"....but when I look around at others my age it absolutely isn't the case. I guess I'm proud of not being normal. End ramble.
Good idea lukem...maybe people want to break them out in different eras or different parts of your life like job, marriage, etc. One that stands out for me my most recently was how I handled my divorce. Never stooped to her level. Never said anything negative to her or that my kids could ever hear. Never responded to her bitterness. Didn't personally attack her after all the lies and hate she spewed to anyone, including our kids. For 3 years this went on. It was tough....really tough to stand up for myself without striking out in anger.
My daughter and my wife. I still can't comprehend how a looser like me married the world's greatest wife.
I agree so much just try every day to " show" them! I wouldn't trade either for a winning lottery ticket!
Proud that we have survived 41 years of up, down and in between. Now our retirement together is just around the corner and knock on wood, it looks like we'll be able to enjoy it.....................
One of my proudest achievements is obtaining the rank of Eagle Scout in 3 years, though I fear the BSA organization is starting to go downhill and that won't mean as much as decade or so from now.
Very true statement. I know about 10 other Eagle Scouts (including my brother) that earned the rank, and all are great, successful adults and great role models. I also know one kid who's parents pushed/helped him through in the least amount of time required and hovered over and scolded those of us that wouldn't check off boxes for him. One of my brother's favorite stories is when the kid needed to build a fire for some requirement, and all he could get was some smoldering smoke after using an entire box of matches. My brother refused to give him a pass, and the dad got in my brother face and just kept repeating "where there's smoke there's fire, where there's smoke there's fire, PASS HIM!". Anyway, you can guess how that kid is today....
Many things. Perhaps one of the proudest is the ability to get along well with many different type of folks and have very, very few enemies. Also proud that I have been able to help a few folks on the wood burning. But I can not leave out my marriage and yes, I'm proud of my redhead and the time we've spent together, which is over 70% of my lifetime.