In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I rented a DR mower today

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Unicorn1, Jul 18, 2015.

  1. Unicorn1

    Unicorn1

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2013
    Messages:
    2,282
    Likes Received:
    8,917
    Location:
    Amarillo, TX
    Here's the first of three pieces I need to mow. Probably would have been easier with a tractor. The DR works the best in a straight line, tough turning with two drive wheels.



     
    Loon, Chvymn99, Jack Straw and 2 others like this.
  2. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    That's a lotta choppin Uni... great job... :yes:
     
    Jack Straw likes this.
  3. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC

    I bet you are smoked! I knew a fella once that would show up, and brush-hog your property (30hp Tractor and a 5 ft brush hog) for a reasonable rate. I think he was getting $100/hr for small pieces and would cut you a deal if you could keep him busy for more than a couple hours.

    You wouldn't know anybody like that would you?
     
    savemoney likes this.
  4. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    49,005
    Likes Received:
    312,377
    Location:
    Central MI
    7 hours is a long time! How many acres did you have to mow?
     
    savemoney likes this.
  5. Will C

    Will C

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2015
    Messages:
    999
    Likes Received:
    4,987
    Location:
    New York
    Wow! I did 3 acres with my tractor and bush hog Friday night-can't imagine doing that with a walk behind.
     
  6. Unicorn1

    Unicorn1

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2013
    Messages:
    2,282
    Likes Received:
    8,917
    Location:
    Amarillo, TX
    Ok, I've lost my mind. 18 hours total spent mowing and I still didn't get everything mowed. Never again without a tractor.:hair: Too much debris, stumps, bob wire I had to look out for. I also learned that there's a lever for more traction-longer turns, less traction- easier turns. I think I need one of these;

     
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    Backwoods Savage and Stinny like this.
  7. Unicorn1

    Unicorn1

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2013
    Messages:
    2,282
    Likes Received:
    8,917
    Location:
    Amarillo, TX
    This was dry when I mowed it Monday, another 2 inches of rain.
     

    Attached Files:

    savemoney and Backwoods Savage like this.
  8. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Can't imagine that. We don't have flat land around here anywhere. Everything is up and down. Yet, people continue to build in flood prone areas. Way too many options here for anyone to have to be in a flood zone.
     
    Stinny and Jack Straw like this.
  9. Unicorn1

    Unicorn1

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2013
    Messages:
    2,282
    Likes Received:
    8,917
    Location:
    Amarillo, TX
    It's very flat in the Texas Panhandle.
     
    savemoney likes this.