In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I'm going to show my ignorance

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by bocefus78, Jul 10, 2015.

  1. bocefus78

    bocefus78

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Messages:
    3,694
    Likes Received:
    19,840
    Location:
    Indiana
    Stupid question from a person who doesn't Facebook and never has...

    What is the like button for? What's it's purpose here?

    Flame away fhc...I deserve it I'm sure lol.
     
    HDRock, XXL, wildwest and 5 others like this.
  2. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    To indicate to the poster that you like their post.
     
  3. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    Kind of a pat on the back of sorts. I liked your post because we should be able to ask "stupid" questions. Lord knows I ask my share. :)
     
    Horkn, wildwest, whitey and 3 others like this.
  4. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    it is facebook's version of a "Atta Boy" button similar to the like button here.................
     
    Horkn, wildwest, whitey and 3 others like this.
  5. ironpony

    ironpony

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,745
    Likes Received:
    20,782
    Location:
    Mid Ohio
    good question bocefus, I do not facebook either. nothing but drama from what I see. besides, if I have not contacted you in 20 years, I probably do not want to.
     
    Horkn, HDRock, unclefess and 6 others like this.
  6. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    If it's drama, that means the people you have friended are drama. There is no drama on my Facebook, and if any shows up I stop following the person causing it.
     
    Horkn, wildwest, basod and 1 other person like this.
  7. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    After joining facebook to see pictures of my nieces(I'm their godfather). My best friend "friended me" as well as his wife(I was the best man in the wedding).
    Really never went on it much and had "status change" email from his wife - only to log onto facebook and find out they were breaking up on facebook. Straight up 6th-7th grade public breakup.
    Dumbest chit I've ever seen in my life.

    I set the GF with an account so she could see pictures of her grand baby, and of course the entire extended family from Louisiana "friends" her.
    Several of her ignorant kin post all kinds racist banners that pop up on her feed. Tried to figure out how to block their content, without un-friending them?
     
    Horkn and wildwest like this.
  8. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    It's called "unfollow." If you unfollow them, you will still be friends but you don't see their crap.
     
    Horkn, wildwest and basod like this.
  9. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    As far as the "like" button here:
    Someone has given sound advice for a solution, posted an awesome picture, or made me laugh

    I think that's what I did, but I'll double check next time she logs on - Thanks
     
    Horkn, unclefess, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  10. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,717
    Likes Received:
    224,378
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    I have to laugh every time I hear someone say they only use facebook for the purpose of viewing pictures. rrrright!
    And people only buy playboy for the articles!
    Too bad there isn't some way of sending pictures through e-mail.......
     
    HDRock, Woodwidow, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  11. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    That's exactly what I told my sister. She says it's a pain to resize and attach photos - Facebook just has an easier interface for people attached to their smart phones.
     
    wildwest and rookie1 like this.
  12. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,717
    Likes Received:
    224,378
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Yeah, I thought it was something like that.
    And you don't have to waste all your precious time actually resizing pics, and actually addressing the pics to the individuals you want to receive them. It's so much easier and convenient just to post them and let everyone else look around for them.


    Any further with this one and this post will never stand a chance of recovering from the derailment!
     
    basod and wildwest like this.
  13. chris

    chris

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2013
    Messages:
    3,168
    Likes Received:
    11,288
    Location:
    SE WI
    Derailment ? what derailment its a facebook post!
     
    basod and wildwest like this.
  14. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,655
    Likes Received:
    144,629
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    He might meet someone on facebook, or he could get a better idea of the woman if he looks at her page. Kinda like employers look at prospective new hires facebook page.
     
  15. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    Mine either. It (facebbok) doesn't exist on my computer. If someone is too lazy to e mail the pictures, then I guess they really think I don't need to see them. Won't be too long before everybody forgets how to write as well......................................
    Facebook replaces the drama club you never belonged to in school...................
     
  16. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,655
    Likes Received:
    144,629
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    I happen to disagree. I can eat up alot of time and always frustration to : get the pics transferred to computer, then getting them on an email, then making sure I only send one or two at a time since some of my family have small limits, and then make sure I have the string email addresses attached. Never fails, I usually get some rejections and waste more time doing it all over again for certain email addys.

    The way I figure it, if someone really wants to see my pics, they can get a facebook account for free.
     
  17. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    What's facebook?
     
    Chvymn99, LongShot, unclefess and 2 others like this.
  18. bocefus78

    bocefus78

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Messages:
    3,694
    Likes Received:
    19,840
    Location:
    Indiana
    Message received. Thanks guys and gals. I guess I'll start hitting that button.

    Now back to our regularly scheduled derailment. Speaking of resized pics, I really miss win xp power tools. Simply right click on image, hit resize. Done. Stupid 7 and 8.1 don't have this.
     
    rottiman and wildwest like this.
  19. concretegrazer

    concretegrazer

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,429
    Likes Received:
    12,455
    Location:
    Southwest MO
    What's wrong with photobucket?
     
    wildwest likes this.
  20. chris

    chris

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2013
    Messages:
    3,168
    Likes Received:
    11,288
    Location:
    SE WI
    PB has become a royal pita.
     
    Grizzly Adam and wildwest like this.