In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Any FHC members that use a metal lathe?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Unicorn1, Jul 8, 2015.

  1. Unicorn1

    Unicorn1

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2013
    Messages:
    2,282
    Likes Received:
    8,917
    Location:
    Amarillo, TX
    I'm looking at a South bend metal lathe on CL, it states it's a lite 10, but from what I've read they have a rear mounted motor behind the head stock. The pics show a lathe with an under mount motor which would be a heavy 10. I'm waiting for the seller to get back to me. Here are the CL pic.
     

    Attached Files:

    Beetle-Kill likes this.
  2. mdavlee

    mdavlee

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    Messages:
    4,380
    Likes Received:
    10,479
    Looks to be in decent shape. Wish I could have found one like that for me.
     
    Beetle-Kill likes this.
  3. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    Drool..... :drool:

    Whatcha gonna do with that one?
     
  4. Unicorn1

    Unicorn1

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2013
    Messages:
    2,282
    Likes Received:
    8,917
    Location:
    Amarillo, TX
    I have no machining experience but want to learn, I don't know anyone with a lathe or mill.
     
    MasterMech likes this.
  5. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    close to the one I learned on, if you have the space and actually need to turn parts could be worth it.
    Learning could be a bit frustrating with youtube - their really isn't a substitute for a true machining class, learning to cut/sharpen your own tooling = priceless;)
     
    jeff_t and Beetle-Kill like this.
  6. Beetle-Kill

    Beetle-Kill

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2013
    Messages:
    4,102
    Likes Received:
    19,559
    Location:
    Near the Divide, Colorado
    It looks clean. I have a 9" swing Southbend, good machine for what I use it for. Almost identical to that one but belt drive, rear motor. Little small for machining larger bar stock though.
    What are you going to use it for?
     
  7. Unicorn1

    Unicorn1

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2013
    Messages:
    2,282
    Likes Received:
    8,917
    Location:
    Amarillo, TX
    Nothing in particular, no time at home to take a voc/tech class until I retire.:(
     
    Beetle-Kill likes this.
  8. Beetle-Kill

    Beetle-Kill

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2013
    Messages:
    4,102
    Likes Received:
    19,559
    Location:
    Near the Divide, Colorado
    They come in handy, but it would be a good idea to get some tutelage. I use mine mainly for gun stuff, but also shop and home.
    Made a little spring retainer for a kickstand for a customer the other night, we welded it on at the shop. Saved him about $100, he was happy.
    edit- What extras does it come with? 3-jaw, 4-jaw? live center for tailstock? Steadyrest? Tool holders? Dial indicator? Stuff like that adds up in cost if you have to buy it later. JB
     
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    mdavlee likes this.
  9. Unicorn1

    Unicorn1

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2013
    Messages:
    2,282
    Likes Received:
    8,917
    Location:
    Amarillo, TX
    I guess I'm more fascinated with the machine portion of a lathe then what it's capable of doing, yes that's a little strange.
     
  10. bassJAM

    bassJAM

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2014
    Messages:
    1,999
    Likes Received:
    6,021
    Location:
    Cincinnati, OH
    What they're capable of doing is grabbing long hair and ripping it out of your scalp. Or grabbing loose clothing and breaking limbs. They are perfectly safe to use if you know how, but it'd be best to find somebody to show you the ropes. At the very least, watch some youtube videos!
     
  11. chris

    chris

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2013
    Messages:
    3,168
    Likes Received:
    11,288
    Location:
    SE WI
    That looks like a Lite ten ( maybe a 9x36) a lot of schools had those in the machine shops back in the day. Early ones would be a back mounted motor flat belt drive that looks to be about a 60's unit- matching base maybe a v-belt drive. ( pic could be deceiving) Heavy ten are highly regarded- although most will have to be rebuilt and the bed ways scraped before any real meaningful work can be accomplished. Most of the bed wear will be in the first ten inches from the chuck- Bearing wear is much harder to check fastest way is to chuck a bar and take a medium cut and see how much chatter happens. They can be rebuilt enjoy a huge following- but isn't inexpensive to do so. Take a machinist friend along if you have one
     
    Beetle-Kill and mdavlee like this.