So much for 10ft tall and bullet proofFell on the ice 12-12. Landed flat on my back, left leg straight out, right foot under my a$$, top of my foot parallel to the ground and my shin. Heard/felt a LOUD pop in my right ankle. I knew it was broke before I rolled off of it. Hopped back to the house and looked at it. Something hard sticking out on the outside of the ankle. Slightly below and in front of the ankle. My brother broke the tip off his fibula 10 years ago. He had it screwed back on but he still limps around everyday in pain. That was the second thought that went through my head. I went to the (orthopedic?) foot doc the next evening. X-ray shows no breakCouldn't believe it after the LOUD pop. I broke a collar bone as a kid, obvious pop, this was more obvious. Torn ligaments. He didn't say which ones. I'm guessing ATFL after looking at Google images. 4-6 weeks in an air cast. At this point, that's good news. I was expecting surgery. From the sound of the pop, I'm guessing the ligament is torn completely in two. I didn't ask, but now I'm wondering how the two ends are supposed to get together and heal?
I thought I DESTROYED my left wrist in a ATV wreck years ago. Made a disgusting pop I felt through my whole body. I was sure it was shattered based on the sound alone. No real damage though. If you tear a ligament that doesn't necessarily mean it is completely severed. Hope you feel better soon.
I feel for ya'. Scares the bejeezus out of me everytime we get ice. Take it easy as long as you can. I broke my right forearm almost 5 years ago, and it still hurts. Not real bad, but I def. know it's there. The bone broke, separated, then the tendons/ligaments pulled the 2 broken ends back past each other. I couldn't raise my hand w/o using my other hand. After surgery to reunite the ends, a metal plate to hold everything and a very expensive 2 day hospital stay, I went home with an elastic wrap over it and a brace. Wasn't supposed to do much, but it was winter and there was wood to put in the stove, so........ Not sure what kind of metal, because it doesn't set off metal detectors. I was NOT yet ahead on the firewood.
You get one chance to heal it right, the first time. So take it easy and let it heal. I twisted my ankle real bad in college. Went to the ER, they took x-rays, radiologist and ER doc both said it was a bad sprain, followed up with an orthopedic surgeon who read the x-rays and said it was a bad sprain, rest, ice, compression, elevation, crutches, etc. Two years later, in Podiatry school, I was still having trouble with it, sent for original x-rays from the hospital, and had one of the Podiatry clinicians recheck them. He looked at the original x-rays for 5 seconds and said, "You have a talar dome fracture. It probably never healed." I had to have arthroscopic surgery on it to remove a dime sized piece of bone and clean up a bunch of joint mice. Fortunately no trouble since.
Brain I hope I have better luck than you did. Doc said crutches and airboot for a week, then I should be able to walk in the boot. The way it feels now thats not going to happen. Maybe Im being pessimistic.
Thanks guys. The wife is doing well with the stove and I've got a ~4 year wood supply. I always try to remember, no matter how bad thinks seem to be, they could be lots worse.
Get well One good thing, It happened in the winter, Nothing worse for me than to be laid up thru Spring, Summer or Fall. You'll be more mobile after a week or so. Stay as active as you safely can, good blood circulation speeds healing