In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What gives with the new icon on my computer?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Backwoods Savage, Jun 5, 2015.

  1. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    The icon is a window. Click on it and it says I can get a free upgrade to Windows 10. Sounds a bit strange.


    Another very strange thing. I don't like Facebook much but did try to log on there today. Can't do it. Says my browser won't allow cookies. It does and I made sure by making some changes. Still don't work.

    Try Internet Explorer. I can get on but the page is basically blank. Only the top title bar is visible and if I try going to someone else's place, even the title bar disappears.

    I'm stumped.
     
    Horkn and wildwest like this.
  2. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,655
    Likes Received:
    144,629
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    :popcorn:
     
    Horkn likes this.
  3. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    Perform a system restore if you've set a recent backup point
     
    Horkn and wildwest like this.
  4. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Well, I finally got Firefox working on the problem but haven't tried IE yet. Probably won't as I simply rarely use it. Still stumped on the Windows 10 thing.
     
    Horkn and wildwest like this.
  5. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Not sure a restore would be required with this.
     
    Horkn and wildwest like this.
  6. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,655
    Likes Received:
    144,629
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Could the windows10 be part of windows update?
     
    Horkn and papadave like this.
  7. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    You could have malware or virus that dropped the icon on your desktop.
    Restoring to a previous point could resolve the issue
     
    Horkn, Backwoods Savage and wildwest like this.
  8. Paul bunion

    Paul bunion

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,396
    Likes Received:
    13,524
    Location:
    NJ
    Horkn likes this.
  9. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Right on Paul. It is not out yet. Looks like this is legit as it is the same thing.

    Malwarebytes really does a great job of keeping malware off the computer as I've had nothing since downloading.
     
    Horkn and wildwest like this.
  10. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Got this off the Windows site:

    "For devices running Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update with Windows Update enabled, the app shows up automatically as a Windows icon in your system tray at the bottom right-hand side of your screen."

    And that is where the icon shows up.
     
    Horkn and wildwest like this.
  11. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Yeah, the window is for the "upgrade" to 10 via windows update. It's due out on July 29th, if I remember correctly.
    I reserved my copy, but unless I can download the actual ISO, I probably won't do it.
    I want to be able to do a fresh install on a spare drive to see if I like it. I tried one of the Betas a while back.
    No idea what's up with your browser.
     
    Backwoods Savage, Horkn and wildwest like this.
  12. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    Sounds legit because my Trend Micro just popped up with an update for Windows 10 upgrade version.
    Still not liking what they did to Excel 2010( from 2007) to want a new OS
     
    Backwoods Savage, Horkn and wildwest like this.
  13. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,655
    Likes Received:
    144,629
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    :picard: It's in my tray too....
     
    Backwoods Savage and Horkn like this.
  14. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,655
    Likes Received:
    144,629
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    You get Excel with Windows? I had to buy MS Office in the past for it.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  15. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    deal through work
    I'm a bit of an "excel junkie" macros, PI links and what not, engineer without a PE stamp - that can dance circles around most of the engineers that get paid less than me for a reason;)
     
  16. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,514
    Likes Received:
    95,533
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Now that you mentioned it, I have the icon as well. Is there a way to get rid of it so the download doesn't happen by itself?
     
    Backwoods Savage and wildwest like this.
  17. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,173
    Likes Received:
    166,458
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin

    Engineers are S-M-R-T. :D

    I like working with engineers, but the ones that act like they couldn't ever possibly mess up in any way are the ones that need a bit of humility.

    Sometimes @holes can be VPs, sometimes they are cashiers. ;)
     
  18. ironpony

    ironpony

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,745
    Likes Received:
    20,782
    Location:
    Mid Ohio
    Engineer.......you drive a train fro a living????
     
  19. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,655
    Likes Received:
    144,629
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Don't get me started
     
  20. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    You can change settings in windows update to only annoy you when an update is available, instead of just automatically downloading and installing.
    Right click on the window, click on "Go to Windows Update" then when that opens, look on the left side and click on "change settings".
    I have mine set to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them".
    Not everything Windows has for me is in my best interest, and I don't like MS thinking for me.
     
    Woodwidow, basod, HDRock and 5 others like this.