That drone makes those closeup views of him doing that, that couldn't even be done with a helicopter. Amazing.
Worked with someone that had done that for a living for a while. He said you "you just get use to it"....ummmm, not for me would it!
I met a caretaker of a TV tower in Raymond, ME. At one time it was one of the tallest structures can't recall exact height. the old tower that had fallen over years ago was still strewn in pieces through the woods leading up to the site and his care taker house
Yeah that's the one. It was about a 3mile hike from our camp on Thomas Pond. Tallest structure in 1959 - don't ask me about the old pieces we used to hike by the story I recall was it collapsed but I might have been 7-8yo
same here, I get a bit of vertigo climbing an exhaust stack set at 110' Turned down a few jobs to manage wind turbine farms simply because I couldn't deal with climbing or getting out on top of a Nacelle
I wouldn't like that either. Aren't they about 300' high? Do they ever set those up with hoists inside the tower to lift someone up on a harness? I know... ya still gotta get out on top when ya get there...
anywhere from 2-300' on the vast majority of the sites I've visited.' The hoists are for lifting parts between deck grating inside - had a contractor fatality a couple years ago from a guy riding one. Climbing inside one isn't that bad, cable fall protection attached to the front of a harness, and grating levels to break up the taper in the tower. When you open the hatch on the Nacelle(hub) and hook off and step out on top it gets a bit scary
No way, not even in my best days. I'm not allowed to climb anything but into bed. I hope those who do the climbing on the towers get a good part of the cost paid out to get the job done.