In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Finally running off the thermostat

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by 343amc, Dec 7, 2013.

  1. 343amc

    343amc

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,749
    Likes Received:
    5,770
    Location:
    Northeast Lower Michigan
    I hooked up the thermostat to the furnace last weekend. Bought the wire last January, just never ran the wire. I've run the furnace in manual mode since I installed it. I figure since highs might not make it out of the teens for the next few days that now is a good time to try it out. It runs high/low when running in stat mode.

    The stat called for heat and the fires of hell are now raging in the burn pot. :)

    We'll see what effect this has on pellet consumption over the next few days. Consumption is going to go up anyways, may as well keep the house a constant temperature. It was down to 65 inside this morning. We usually like it around 68.

    More to come.....
     
  2. jtakeman

    jtakeman Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,312
    Likes Received:
    55,506
    Location:
    NW CT foothills
    If the house was generally cooler when manually fired, Yes the consumption should rise some. But if you were slipping and the house was overly warm at times. You could use less in the long run. Don't forget to use the setback on the stat(if its programmable) so the furnace can just idle while your away from the shack or sleeping. You should still come home/wake up to warmth while saving some fuel too......

    I love my setback programmable setup. Saves a bit of fuel while the boss hardly noticing the difference. I'm currently using auto/off during the warmer day time and hi/lo in the nights that drop below 30°F so I can save some wear on the igniter too.
     
  3. ivanhoe

    ivanhoe

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2013
    Messages:
    2,981
    Likes Received:
    11,869
    Location:
    Northern Ontario
    It's about time:smoke:. I shouldn't be talking as I am far behind my installationo_O. Hope it works out for you, which thermostat are you using?
     
  4. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Congrats on the stat install. I hooked mine up to a stat immediately. But I now run in manual (level 1 or 2), and keep the Enerzone stat set. So if the Fahrenheit falls behind? The stove upstairs picks up the slack.

    Still love my furnace. My Wife even said last week, that it was one of my better investments that I have made.... :) She likes it warm..
     
    343amc likes this.
  5. 343amc

    343amc

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,749
    Likes Received:
    5,770
    Location:
    Northeast Lower Michigan
    It's a Lux TX 500E. Same one I used on my 6041 insert. Nothing fancy but it works well and is programmable.

    There is almost always someone here (wife runs her business out of the basement), so I don't usually do the setback thing. I might knock it down a degree or two at night.

    So far it's cycled a few times. I'll have an idea if it's eating more or less pellets when I check the hopper in the AM.