In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

what's wrong with the picture(sort of)?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by ivanhoe, Dec 3, 2013.

  1. ivanhoe

    ivanhoe

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2013
    Messages:
    2,981
    Likes Received:
    11,869
    Location:
    Northern Ontario
    hi,
    i just got past my 75th bag of Cubex and seems like I have no heat. Recently installed OAK for this year heating and I am confused with the situation. A fella co-worker has a Enviro Meridian and says his is tweaked to burn the Cubex and gets a lot of heat. He mentioned maybe I'm throwing all my heat out the exhaust vent. I have a Harman Accentra so it should regulate the air coming in for the combustion efficiency but I am starting to have second thoughts. I might have to install my Fahrenheit sooner than later.
     
  2. slvrblkk

    slvrblkk

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    6,647
    Likes Received:
    29,535
    Location:
    Northampton, PA
    If you haven't done a "complete" cleaning yet and burned through 75 bags, you are WAY overdue for it. I would start with the cleaning.
     
    Ambient and imacman like this.
  3. subsailor

    subsailor

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    3,693
    Likes Received:
    14,973
    Location:
    Winthrop, Maine
    The last time I burned Cubex in my P-61 I wasn't impressed at all. All heavy ash, no heat. Have you tried another pellet for comparison?
     
    savemoney likes this.
  4. imacman

    imacman

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    6,633
    Likes Received:
    27,528
    Location:
    Denver, NC
    Are they fresh, this year's Cubex, or leftovers from last year?
     
  5. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    T
    that stove should be able to handle any wood pellet you feed it. How was the heat when you first started burning those pellets?
     
  6. ivanhoe

    ivanhoe

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2013
    Messages:
    2,981
    Likes Received:
    11,869
    Location:
    Northern Ontario
    I have been cleaning my stove, should be due soon as I am changing to Trebio's as we speak. Suppose to be this year's batch so they say. How they burned in the beginning is about the same as now. Maybe I was spoiled burning some softies last year but I was burning Cubex as the major inventory and wasn't overly impressed. My question is , can a faulty control board cause side effects like I'm having? I have started heating in mid-September as the cooler weather fell upon me earlier than usual.
     
  7. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    Are you running in room temp or stove temp mode?
    Does everything seem the same as before , flame size ect.. just less heat?
    Check your auto/ manual switch is in auto.
     
  8. ivanhoe

    ivanhoe

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2013
    Messages:
    2,981
    Likes Received:
    11,869
    Location:
    Northern Ontario
    I'm running in room temp mode and in manual like I always do. Just today my furnace kicked on twice with temps outside hovering around 28F! I will be cleaning the stove soon but I have low hopes on the results. Flame size seems normal, sometimes high and other times low as I'm running in manual. Maybe my temp dial is on the low side(5 =77F) but it doesn't explain my excess pellet consumption. Here's a pic of the flame;
    P1030256.JPG
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2013
  9. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    I'm no expert , but try running in stove temp auto and see what happens . That's how I run mine ,but everyone's home & location is different .
     
  10. imacman

    imacman

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    6,633
    Likes Received:
    27,528
    Location:
    Denver, NC
    I'm no Harman expert, but is that the "normal" flame? I had a friend who had one years ago, and I seem to remember a short, blowtorch type on his....house was always too hot (for me). I'd normally say that yours looks like a very "rich" mixture....not enough air. Any time the flame in my stove gets more than about 1/2 the way to the roof of the firebox (on a normal heat setting of 4 or 5), I know something's amiss.

    Hopefully, the Harman people on here will comment about the flame.
     
    will711 likes this.
  11. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Simple plan. Clean that stove very well, including vent... (The OAK isn't the culprit).

    Then, next step, install the Fahrenheit and live happily ever after :)

    J/k.. Hope you get it figured. Seems like a low air situation as imacman stated. Unless your shutter speed is super fast, then it looks a little lazy.
    I have a bottom feed, and cranked up, it will come close to the top of the firebox, but it's still a very fast flame.

    (Don't mind the ash in the pot. I don't scrape like Hormone owners. I just let it push it out.) :)
    image.jpg
     
  12. ivanhoe

    ivanhoe

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2013
    Messages:
    2,981
    Likes Received:
    11,869
    Location:
    Northern Ontario
    I cranked it up to full throttle for a couple of hours to see if the heat would increase and it did(I wasn't heat blown away!?!?). Mind you the daughter was X-mas baking upstairs and temps outside are about 28F. Now I'm running at 5.5(80ish) so I will see in the morning. I hope I have time for a cleaning tomorrow. I am making room for the Fahrenheit as we speak but I still need to make a exhaust hole in the concrete wall and install some ceramic tiles on the floor along with finishing a framed wall. The temptation is there but the princess wants our bedroom en suite redone after Christmas.
     
  13. ivanhoe

    ivanhoe

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2013
    Messages:
    2,981
    Likes Received:
    11,869
    Location:
    Northern Ontario
    I cleaned the stove yesterday and noticed some creosote on the bottom door. Mind you, it was somewhat present in the past. 1st pic , partially wipe the heat exchanger. 2nd pic, creosete on door bottom. 3rd pic, my tool and back of baffles. 4th pic, untouched heat exchanger. 5th pic, flame after cleaning. I ran the lint brush up the vent to make sure there's no blockage. Checked the intake of the OAK and it was clean, clean just like day one. To my conclusion, stove was running rich. I hope to see better days ahead.
     

    Attached Files:

    BrowningBAR likes this.
  14. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Is your door gasket passing the dollar bill test?
     
    gbreda and will711 like this.
  15. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    Dex you might be on to it , I have the same stove ,but my ash don't look black as ivan's does
     
  16. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    That Sote on the bottom of the door is likely because of an air leak (Cold Air meets the warm air and condenses at the air infiltration point.

    I'd test that gasket.
     
    eatonpcat likes this.
  17. imacman

    imacman

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    6,633
    Likes Received:
    27,528
    Location:
    Denver, NC
    For sure a rich mixture....looking at the 1st pic, there should never be any black, creosote-looking stuff that close to the burn pot, especially on the "sides" that come up from by the auger. Last pic looks better.

    Have you done a leaf blower treatment on this stove? hint hint
     
    eatonpcat likes this.
  18. ivanhoe

    ivanhoe

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2013
    Messages:
    2,981
    Likes Received:
    11,869
    Location:
    Northern Ontario
    Unable to do leaf blower trick as the vent is on my selkirk 7in wood chimney but then again, never tried! Dollar test is unable to pull or very tight pull through? Will check soon. Gasket has never been replaced so it could be due!!
     
  19. imacman

    imacman

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    6,633
    Likes Received:
    27,528
    Location:
    Denver, NC
    correct...check all around the gasket
     
  20. gbreda

    gbreda

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    7,506
    Likes Received:
    37,200
    Location:
    NH
    How many years/tons on that gasket? Late to the party on this thread, but gasket sounds like a front runner. As imacman mentioned, my flame is like a blow torch. BTW, after 4 seasons, I changed the gasket this fall, dollar bill was getting a bit easy on the tug.