So a few years ago we redid the exterior of our home due to hail damage and I neglected to insulate the walls knowing the house has no insulation in the exterior walls. I am planning on removing some siding to do the blow in insulation. I have heard this can be done. Does anyone have any experience in doing this?
It can be done with cellulose or foam, I don't anything more about it. Backwoods Savage had his done with foam. Nice avatar.
Thanks fox. I'm trying to stay away from the foam as I don't want to spend the money on it as I have other priorities I need to address.
I saw something on a home improvement tv show, they blew insulation into the walls from the attic between each of section of the studs.
Hi STihl Livin Here is a thread about insulation from a couple weeks ago. It's mostly about foams, but there is some good info here. http://firewoodhoardersclub.com/forums/posts/284812/ Backwoods Savage and papadave will have some input here
Yeah, foam is good stuff but $$$. I considered it when I built but after pricing both, I went with cellulose. No complaints/regrets.
10 years ago there were only a couple spray foam guys around here and it was expensive !!!!! NOW with a dozen guys doing it they got the price whittled down to a little more than fiberglass. Yeah,,,,, I'll pay a little more for a tight seal and NO ITCHEY MONKEY BUSINESS !!! Check around you might be surprised how cheap it is. Here now ,,, it's 80-90 cents a sq. ft. for an inch. Knowing what I know now ,,,, I would spare no expense when it came to insulation.
I'm not sure what this means. One inch of foam sprayed on the exterior surface, then the remainder of the cavity is filled with fiberglass bat?
That's on open walls - new construction. Closed cell. The inwall foam I believe is different. Minimal expansion. Open cell maybe.