Ack!!! I just checked the batteries in the smoke/CO detector in the living room. Someone must have taken them out when they were using it for a kitchen timer. And accidentally put them back in backwards! We've been burning this fall without a working one in the stove room. "The Lord is kind and merciful. Slow to anger and rich in compassion for us idiots who love Him."
Glad you brought this up Brian. Im looking for a new smoke/Co detector. What units can you guys recommend? Also glad you caught the backwards battery!
I have a Kidd Smoke and CO Alarm in the basement near the natural gas furnace and in the living room where my wood stove is located. I have smoke alarms in each bedroom, upstairs hallway and the attic which is the boys' bedroom. I just went to WalMart and bought decent ones, not the cheapest, not the most expensive.
I just went through this, for smoke detectors, There are two kinds of detection, ionization and photoelectric. Ionization is great at detecting slow smoldering type fires, but terrible at flash fires, vice versa for photoelectric. So you really should have both types of detection. There was only one combo unit on the market that had both types of detection, that's what I got, Kiddie model PI 9010. There may be other combo units on the market now. Unfortunately there are still no decent smoke and CO detectors on the market.
You could use the miners alarm, a couple of canaries should do the trick. Might cost more than batteries to feed them
That reminds me of Homer's everything Gus alright alarm. Goes off continuously unless something is wrong. Living with birds is the same, No peace unless they are dead.
Thanks. Just don't ask me for a chapter and a verse. I think that quote is from the BK Paraphrase Bible.