In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fair price for a wood piece?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by yooperdave, Mar 23, 2015.

  1. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,749
    Likes Received:
    224,634
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    What would you pay (or charge) for a slice of wood about three foot diameter hardwood?

    Son's girlfriend was asking as she would like to make a table top and one of her co-workers thinks he may be able to find such a piece on the family farm. The tree is already down and bucked up according to what she was told...
    I'd say not too much for one round. The only drawback is that the person knows how interested she is. The old law of supply and demand, no?
     
    papadave, wildwest and Horkn like this.
  2. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Three foot is pretty sizable, so there will be some cost. It could be quick cash for the co-worker if they reach a price agreement. I would think 30-50 tops if it was me. The better the species, the more $.
     
    wildwest and Horkn like this.
  3. Paul bunion

    Paul bunion

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,396
    Likes Received:
    13,524
    Location:
    NJ
    Does she know what she is looking for? A round is almost certain to crack as it dries.
     
    papadave, Norky, eatonpcat and 3 others like this.
  4. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,749
    Likes Received:
    224,634
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Yes, I've explained to her about the cracking, but she is set on making a table, so....

    Agreed, which makes it a bit more. I was thinking she should offer 20. Can always go up, right? The fella she's talking to thinks it might be elm.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  5. bocefus78

    bocefus78

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Messages:
    3,694
    Likes Received:
    19,840
    Location:
    Indiana
    Depends on how straight he can cut! There's going to be tons of hand planing to get it close to flat. I wouldn't pay chit unless it was flat or within 1/4" of it
    Then there's the whole drying thing.....hope she likes cracks-lots o crack
    I guess its worth a case of beer to the cutter.
     
    fox9988 likes this.
  6. Jon1270

    Jon1270

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    4,543
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Is the cutter also going to be delivering it somewhere? If so, I'd say the price at least doubles.